You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 19:02

Vicente10H

Does not start the desktop

I'm new to Linux. I do not know what I have touched, but I no longer start the graphic environment, it stays directly on the console and asks for the username and password. I do not know how I can go to the desktop again. Can somebody help me?

Thank you!

#2 2018-02-12 20:11

Dai_trying

Re: Does not start the desktop

Hi Vicente and welcome to the forum, you could try the startx command (once you have logged in) to see if that starts the desktop, if not post back and we will try to help.

#3 2018-02-13 04:08

!Tommy

I'm actually having the same problem. I've "bricked" several installs, meaning I just went ahead and reinstalled the OS. But my issue comes from the NVIDIA driver. The NVIDIA driver seems to mess up 3D support and so trying to remove it always takes me to the tty1 console and I can never get out of it no matter what I find online specific to Debian to try. It's really frustrating! Trying StartX doesn't seem to yield anything and usually results in some sort of error trying to start the display manager. Not sure if the OP is having this particular issue but I know this is what is happening to me.

#4 2018-02-13 08:03

jackdanielsesq

Hi

Simply reinstall the O/S - do not install the bespoke Nvidia drivers - its is a problem the mods need to address

Click  'No' 2x times when the Nvidia bubble appears - the legacy drivers are just fine

Enjoy the experience - its an excellent O/S

Regards

Jack

#5 2018-02-13 09:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

There is a 'vd-reset' command available to reset xserver configuration into its initial state. If you end up in the console after installing nvidia drivers, just login and run commands:
$ vd-reset
$ sudo reboot

#6 2018-02-13 10:15

Vicente10H

Dai_trying wrote:

Hi Vicente and welcome to the forum, you could try the startx command (once you have logged in) to see if that starts the desktop, if not post back and we will try to help.

I have tried with the command "startx" but it gives an error and does not load the graphical environment. I think the lines of error are these:

"modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found"
EE
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found (EE) "

So something must have happened to the driver of the graphics card. The PC have a Geforce 6600 and I already remember in its day that it gave me some problems that worked well with the 1920x1080 resolution of the monitor. The truth is that I do not remember what I did, because a couple of years have passed (I think) since I did it.

It seems that I have to install those drivers, how can I do it from the command console?

Thanks!

P.D. Sorry for my poor english! smile

#7 2018-02-13 10:30

Dai_trying

You could try this recomendation from the developers...

q4osteam wrote:

There is a 'vd-reset' command available to reset xserver configuration into its initial state. If you end up in the console after installing nvidia drivers, just login and run commands:
$ vd-reset
$ sudo reboot

And if I understand correctly this should remove (or disable) and installed drivers leaving your machine in the installed state, from there you can decide if you need/want to install another driver for video.

It could be useful to post the result of

inxi -F

to be better able to advise if you will benefit from nvidia driver, but you will need to install inxi first as it is not in the default installation, this can be done without GUI by issuing the command

sudo apt install inxi

hope this helps smile

#8 2018-02-13 16:45

!Tommy

It looks like we both sort of had the same issue, the NVIDIA drivers. Thanks for the information! I'm glad at least I know that's what the problem was and that there seems to be a solution workaround for it. But for now, I'm just going to avoid the driver all together as long as everything works without it. Wasn't it working just fine a few days ago though? Seems like within the last few days is when it became problematic unless time has just gotten away from me. I wouldn't have even known it was messing up but I tried launching a 3D application via Wine and it was complaining about OpenGL being disabled and then that's when I started playing around with it and it got me into some trouble.

#9 2018-02-13 19:11

jackdanielsesq

Yessiree ..

You might want to intall the KDE5/Plasma GUI - it utilizes several GL flavors for your rendering, viewing pleasure
I loved Compiz when it first came out - just turns all those blah 2D screens into vibrant 3D - cubes rock
Should you not like it, simply shell-out to TDE - love choices
The install can be done from TDE desktop or simply hit 'altdeski' in terminal - enjoy the ride

Regards

Jack

!Tommy wrote:

It looks like we both sort of had the same issue, the NVIDIA drivers. Thanks for the information! I'm glad at least I know that's what the problem was and that there seems to be a solution workaround for it. But for now, I'm just going to avoid the driver all together as long as everything works without it. Wasn't it working just fine a few days ago though? Seems like within the last few days is when it became problematic unless time has just gotten away from me. I wouldn't have even known it was messing up but I tried launching a 3D application via Wine and it was complaining about OpenGL being disabled and then that's when I started playing around with it and it got me into some trouble.

#10 2018-02-14 00:09

tlmiller76

the problem with Plasma 5 is that it's REALLY heavy.  Other than Gnome3, it's the heaviest desktop environment there is for linux machines.  Many people come to q4os for how lightweight it is, and so installing Plasma 5 kills that.  My q4os machine is a q4os machine because Plasma 5, while it would run on it, was too slow for my tastes.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#11 2018-02-14 00:23

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

tlmiller76 wrote:

the problem with Plasma 5 is that it's REALLY heavy.  Other than Gnome3, it's the heaviest desktop environment there is for linux machines.  Many people come to q4os for how lightweight it is, and so installing Plasma 5 kills that. ...

Exactly

#12 2018-02-14 10:43

Vicente10H

Dai_trying wrote:

You could try this recomendation from the developers...

q4osteam wrote:

$ vd-reset
$ sudo reboot

And if I understand correctly this should remove (or disable) and installed drivers leaving your machine in the installed state, from there you can decide if you need/want to install another driver for video.

It could be useful to post the result of

inxi -F

to be better able to advise if you will benefit from nvidia driver, but you will need to install inxi first as it is not in the default installation, this can be done without GUI by issuing the command

sudo apt install inxi

hope this helps smile

I have made the commands that you mentioned, but I still can not start the graphical environment

I installed the inxi with the commands and it did not give problems, but when executing the inxi -F it shows me an error just in the Geforce driver:
Nvidia NV43 (Geforce 6600)
Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 driver: FAILED: nvidia

By the way, if I execute vd-reset I get an error saying that the command is unknown

When I rebooted, I ran the "startx" command again and it gives me the same or similar error:

modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Could it be that the VGA is failing? Or is it a driver problem?

Thank you!

#13 2018-02-14 12:43

Dai_trying

Vicente10H wrote:

I have made the commands that you mentioned, but I still can not start the graphical environment

I installed the inxi with the commands and it did not give problems, but when executing the inxi -F it shows me an error just in the Geforce driver:

If you could post the full output it would be helpful smile

Vicente10H wrote:

By the way, if I execute vd-reset I get an error saying that the command is unknown

You might need to use the full path to run the command as it looks like the path variable is not set, try

/usr/bin/vd-reset
Vicente10H wrote:

When I rebooted, I ran the "startx" command again and it gives me the same or similar error:

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Failing VGA Card is a possibility, if you have a spare card it might be worth trying it to see if it solves the issue, and at this stage it is also possible that it is a driver issue, so I couldn't say for definite one way or the other.

#14 2018-02-14 14:43

jackdanielsesq

Vincente10

Your English is just fine - if the GPU works with another distro, then its clearly a driver problem
Many of us have had issues with Nvidia, over many, many years - try the legacy driver for now.

Enjoy the ride - its an incredible O/S

Regards

Jack

Vicente10H wrote:

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Thank you!

#15 2018-02-14 14:54

Vicente10H

Dai_trying wrote:
Vicente10H wrote:

If you could post the full output it would be helpful smile

Vicente10H wrote:

You might need to use the full path to run the command as it looks like the path variable is not set, try

/usr/bin/vd-reset
Vicente10H wrote:

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Failing VGA Card is a possibility, if you have a spare card it might be worth trying it to see if it solves the issue, and at this stage it is also possible that it is a driver issue, so I couldn't say for definite one way or the other.

This is what the command inxi -F

System:   Host: q4os-desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-5-686-pae i686 (32 bit)
Console: tty 1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Machine:  Mobo: Packard Bell BV model:MCP61DM2MA 1.XX
Bios: Phoenix PBAMARMB.0400 date:05/15/2007
CPU:      Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (-MCP-) mcache: 1024 KB
Clock Speeds: 2612 MHz 2612 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA NV43 [GeForce 6600]
              Display Server: X.org 1.16.4 driver: FAILED:nvidia
tty size: 80x25 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Audio:    Card NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio mdriver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture k3.16.0-5-686-pae
Network:  Card-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet mdriver: forcedeth
            eth0 state:up msspeed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
            mac: 00:1c:25:32:7b:88
            Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter
            driver: ath9k
            wlan1 state: down mac: 14:cc:20:0e:9b:3f
Drives:   HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (64.3% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3320820AS size: 320.1GB
Partition:ID-1: / size: 292G used: 190G (69%) ext4 mdev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size:2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo:N/A
             Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu:N/A
             Processes: 89 Uptime:4:03 Memory: 62.2/1007.5MB
             Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Client:Shell (bash) minxi:2.1.28

As for the command /usr/bin/vd-reset the command or the file is incorrect, as if it did not exist

Thanks!

#16 2018-02-14 15:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Vicente10H wrote:

As for the command /usr/bin/vd-reset the command or the file is incorrect, as if it did not exist

Please run commands in terminal:
$ get-q4os-version
$ dpkg -S vd-reset
$ dpkg -s q4os-base
and post output here.

#17 2018-02-14 18:22

Vicente10H

q4osteam wrote:
Vicente10H wrote:

Please run commands in terminal:
$ get-q4os-version
$ dpkg -S vd-reset
$ dpkg -s q4os-base
and post output here.

$ get-q4os-version
1.4.4-n1

$ dpkg -S vd-reset
dpkg-query: no matching package was found -reset*.

$ dpkg -s q4os-base
Package: q4os-base
Priority: extra
Section: none
Installed-Size: 1540
Maintainer: q4os@q4os.org
Architecture: all
Version: 1.7.17-a1
Replaces: none
Provides: q4os-base
Depends: libc6
Conflicts: none
Description: q4os-base for Q4OS

That's it

#18 2018-02-14 20:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Vicente10H
You are using old-stable Q4OS Orion, moreover obsolete older version 1.4. There is version 1.8 available at the moment.

Anyway, we would recommend you to install current stable Q4OS 2.4 Scorpion instead, you can download it here https://www.q4os.org/downloads1.html . If you would still want to use old-stable Q4OS version, download it from the "Legacy releases" section of the Q4OS website.

#19 2018-02-15 00:06

Vicente10H

And how do I update? I download the new version, burn it to a CD and install it? Would I lose the data I have on my hard drive or would it just update?

#20 2018-02-15 10:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

If you will proceed a fresh installation from the cd, you will rewrite data on your harddrive. If you only want to update your current Orion system to the recent old-stable version, run in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

#21 2018-02-15 12:42

Vicente10H

q4osteam wrote:

If you will proceed a fresh installation from the cd, you will rewrite data on your harddrive. If you only want to update your current Orion system to the recent old-stable version, run in terminal:
$ sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update

W: An error occurred during the verification of the signatures. The repository is not updated and the old index files will be used.
s: http://dl.google.com stable release: The following signatures could not be verified because their public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY: 1397BC53640DB551
W: An error occurred during the verification of the signatures. The repository is not updated and the old index files will be used
s: http://q4os.org q4os-1-0-cn InRelease: The following signatures could not be verified because their public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 6ABA85D1E2E6A0B3
W: Failed to obtain http://q4os.org/q4repo/dists/q4os-1-0-cn/InRelease
W: Failed to obtain http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/d … le/Release
W: Some index files could not be downloaded, have been omitted, or old ones used instead

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

E: Could not block / var / lib / dpkg / lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Could not block the administration directory (/ var / lib / dpkg /), maybe there is some other process using it?

It seems that it has not worked

#22 2018-02-15 13:00

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

You need to take following steps in terminal:

1. Uninstall Google Chrome:
$ sudo apt-get remove google-chrome*

2. Import Q4OS keyring:
$ wget -nv -O- http://q4os.org/q4repo/q4a-q4os.gpg.pub | sudo apt-key add -

3. Update system
$ sudo apt-get update

4. Run Q4OS software centre from the start menu and install Google Chrome again

Post back a result.

#23 2018-02-15 13:32

Vicente10H

Okay, I've done all those steps and none has given an error, what should I do now? restart? Do you execute any other of the commands that you have mentioned to me before?

Point 4, reinstall Google Chrome I have not done it because I understand, from what you've written me, I have to do it from the graphical environment

Last edited by Vicente10H (2018-02-15 13:34)

#24 2018-02-22 11:36

Vicente10H

In the end I saved the four things I had and I installed the latest version of the page that you have on the site, but I still have problems.

In VGA mode, without installing the drivers, the graphic desktop looks at 1024x768 and I can not upload it (my monitor is 1920x1080). But if I install the Nvidia drivers that the Q4os offers when it finishes installing on the hard disk, the resolution becomes 640x480 and it does not allow me to choose a larger one.

Seeing the previous problems, I thought maybe the VGA was wrong, so I put a new one, a Geforce 210 of 1GB of RAM, of the Asus brand.

I have reinstalled the Q4os from scratch, just in case, and the same, as I install the drivers offered by the operating system, does not exceed 640x480

Can I download the Nvidia drivers? What could I do?

#25 2018-02-22 12:44

Dai_trying

As you now have a working installation, could you install the package inxi

sudo apt install inxi

and post the output of inxi -F

inxi -F

This might give us a better idea of how your system is currently configured.

Board footer