You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-27 00:35

elektron

ones upon a day in the past i wrote a qestion some other linux forum. how can i log in as root? i got a lot of "helpful" answer. like these: you neednt that. you dont do that. you are too litle with that. not pssible. not recomended. an so on...
so. you can log in as root this way. maybe anybody didnt know.

start the terminal, and write in.

su                       (enter)
password              (enter)       
startx                   (enter)

and look the miracle. you are in as root.

#2 2018-01-27 07:55

bin

Re: log in as root

Ignoring all the usual arguments, logging in using the root account is not hugely awful on a single user machine - it just begs the question - why would you want to do it? Most windows machines are set up to effectively run with the user in admin mode - 'cos they get all upset when a permissions box pops up telling them they're trying to do something that impacts the system. So why not run a linux box the same way?

Reminds me of the story about the boy on his bicycle..

"Look ma - no hands"

"Look ma - no feet"

"Look ma - no teef"

smile

#3 2018-01-27 21:00

crosscourt
Website

Biggest issue Ive got with Windows users as they simply dont understand its a bad idea.  Most machines I work on are setup as admin and i have to go thru the whole argument and make them understand why.

Linux no way......

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2018-02-06 22:36

trapper

Is not that a big security risk?
Anyone can enter the computer as root online and make any system changes?
Or do I understand something wrong?
I come from openSuse, because there is a user root with login and password

#5 2018-02-06 23:13

crosscourt
Website

Ive run OpenSUSE and they handle it pretty much like other distros except they use a separate admin password away from the user password. Most of the time youre doing things as a user not root.  Mageia and PCLinuxOS also RPM distros do the same thing.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#6 2018-02-06 23:52

Dai_trying

trapper wrote:

Is not that a big security risk?
Anyone can enter the computer as root online and make any system changes?
Or do I understand something wrong?
I come from openSuse, because there is a user root with login and password

Yes, logging in as root is a very big security risk, as well as a big system stability risk.

Before anyone can log-in to your system as root they would need the root password and of course you would need to have your home router open to the web (ports are usually closed from direct incoming traffic unless you open them), so you would need to have access from outside and knowledge of the password before you could get into the computer.

I haven't used OpenSuse in quite a while but it had very similar security protocols last time I used it, and I cant imagine they would open up security holes without the user specifically doing it.

Personally I would never log in to a machine as root user (except my Pi of course but that's just for playing) if I need to become root to do something I usually use a terminal and exit as soon as I have done the required tasks. The fact that you can log-in to your own machine as root doesn't mean anybody else can.

#7 2018-02-07 00:03

crosscourt
Website

Well said Dai, smile

I have OpenSUSE on my computer as we speak and they have a admin/root password and a user password as most RPM distros have which I prefer myself. If someone gets on your computer with the user password they cant gain access to anything sensitive because they dont know the admin password.

Dai said it best as just because you can login as root doesnt mean anyone can but  if the computer is setup that way you need to change that immediately.

Last edited by crosscourt (2018-02-07 00:07)

#8 2018-02-07 00:04

Dai_trying

Thank you smile

And agree with CC's comments above too.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-02-07 00:11)

#9 2018-02-07 00:09

crosscourt
Website

Added a few comments Dai before youre thank you, wink

#10 2018-02-07 12:50

jackdanielsesq

Greetings all

I am a huge root fan - if used responsibly, its a marvelous tool for setting up an operating
system quickly and efficiently, without all the tedious nanny state chuck and jive tedium

Besides, learning to fix stuff is where all the action is - I usually run 4-5 O/S concurrently,
with all my data in a separate container, on a completely isolated, independent drive, so
if anything goes pear-shaped, and it will - then I am only a reboot away, maybe sans a
couple words in some document or email, but nothing like the mess we had with a MS
C:\ BS'D that took out everything, including last nite's old pizza & beer - I usually color
my root page an ugly ubuntu purple, which is not pleasant to be around for too long.

I ran XP SP2 for many years with zero upgrades, no patches, and nary a hiccup, even
with my modem on all nite, on many occasions - my AV was always up-to-date, though

BTW - you dont need root to start an X server

Regards

Jack

elektron wrote:

ones upon a day in the past i wrote a qestion some other linux forum. how can i log in as root? i got a lot of "helpful" answer. like these: you neednt that. you dont do that. you are too litle with that. not pssible. not recomended. an so on...
so. you can log in as root this way. maybe anybody didnt know.

start the terminal, and write in.

su                       (enter)
password              (enter)       
startx                   (enter)

and look the miracle. you are in as root.

#11 2018-02-07 13:10

Dai_trying

I think the OP is just pointing out that it is possible to do this, as he stated most forums and discussion boards will spend a lot more resources telling you why you shouldn't do it and usually don't give an answer to the original question. I don't see anything saying it is recommanded or normal to do it though.

And yes root is indeed marvelous as it will allow you to do almost anything with your system (if used correctly) and I like your idea of having different background when running as root, but I only use root in a terminal and have my /root/.bashrc set in a way that makes it obvious (to me at least) that I am root.

As for running XP so long without updates etc, I ran (back in the day) XP without issues because of my careful web habits, it is usually something the user does that leads to the system being compromised (either by virus or malware etc) and knowing your system is probably the best way to avoid having problems. Of course if there is another computer on the same local network that has been compromised that too can cause you problems depending on how you have your security settings.

#12 2018-02-07 17:11

jackdanielsesq

Hey ...

Quid-Pro-Quo StartX - I guessed as much, just did not want to alarm the masses.
My root terminal is transparent pale yellow/bold blue type ... B&W doesnt cut it.
Most viruses originate between the keyboard and the brain operating said fingers
We have come full-circle from KDE3.5 to TDE - it only took 10 years - give or take

Peace

Jack

Dai_trying wrote:

I think the OP is just pointing out that it is possible to do this, as he stated most forums and discussion boards will spend a lot more resources telling you why you shouldn't do it and usually don't give an answer to the original question. I don't see anything saying it is recommanded or normal to do it though.

And yes root is indeed marvelous as it will allow you to do almost anything with your system (if used correctly) and I like your idea of having different background when running as root, but I only use root in a terminal and have my /root/.bashrc set in a way that makes it obvious (to me at least) that I am root.

As for running XP so long without updates etc, I ran (back in the day) XP without issues because of my careful web habits, it is usually something the user does that leads to the system being compromised (either by virus or malware etc) and knowing your system is probably the best way to avoid having problems. Of course if there is another computer on the same local network that has been compromised that too can cause you problems depending on how you have your security settings.

Board footer