You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-02 09:55

jackdanielsesq

Mint Crash

Greetings all ...

Booted into Mint to check its vitals - it is my favorite 13Gig Rescue Disk at the moment
Walked onto my deck to pour a drink & it went to sleep - purple flashing LED on my NB
Tapped the spacebar, VLC played a couple Stevie Ray Vaughn chords & crash - curses

A first .... never had Mint crash before, never had anything crash since Q4O/S instalation

Booted #2 Q4O/S KDE5 which is my working, production model .. ..others are standby
It just simply screams along - cant tell are any speed difference between TDE & KDE5
Both execute programs with equal aplomb - what, you ask, has Mint to do with Q$O/S ?

Wait - there's more - KDE5 now looks like TDE - 2D not 3D, also the power module was
busted - only managed to get it running halfass after several safe-mode starts, none of
the 'Compiz' gingerbread bits & pieces work either ..... a bunch of other annoyances too

My question is what could have caused all this chaos - the various O/S's are all on their
separate, different partitions, so what gives ... off to get some shuteye, will address this
in the morning ... have not checked the voracity of the other O/S's  .... yet

Regards

Jack

Edit - the dreaded KDE Wallet is back - please get rid of this paranoid trollware - danke

Last edited by jackdanielsesq (2018-02-02 11:10)

#2 2018-02-02 18:34

crosscourt
Website

Re: Mint Crash

Sounds like a hard drive issue if its affecting different partitions all across the drive. have you tried to run a scan of the drive?

If youve got another hard drive with an OS on it try running it to see what happens. You can use a livecd/USB to test the rest of the system.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2018-02-03 16:46

jackdanielsesq

Hi CC

Thank you - the HDD was my first blush also, but its like new, and was recently reworked for the big Q4O/S adventure

I also gave the 'common' swap-file a nod, as it was the common denominator here - all my data is on other USB HDD
I might simulate this at some other time - too busy right now

Linux has never had a happy relationship with the hibernation thingy - not even allowed to discuss it on some forums
Q4O/S was a wonderful surprise .. it happily suspends everything .... and comes back from its deep sleep - intact
I imagine that the big 3x TB WD Passport had more to do with the 'crash' than anything - it has often had issues
with firing up - size maybe - WD have always been problematic in my experience - I have the RMA's to prove it.

Have finished fixing stuff - as we all know, computers are mere switches, which are either on or off, logically speaking
Most of the busted stuff was as a direct result of the compositor thingy [opengl3.1] turning itself off - that was easy.
The rest was equally easy .... bloat being the real killer ... we are still lean & mean, here 

Regards

Jack

#4 2018-02-03 18:42

crosscourt
Website

Glad it worked out.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

Board footer