You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-21 17:42

jackdanielsesq

Dumb Pills

Had some spare time to myself, which in-of-itself, is quite unusual so I decided to install Nvidia drivers on a hot,
fresh, functional O/S - the label clearly states 'Take One Dumb Pill Per Day' - I knew better, and took a handful

BOOM - trashed - no video card detected - messed with it, remembering how this same scenario had haunted
me several years ago - it took a while to recover, but the damage was done - like sticking a race car into a wall.
It will never win anything again - sell it with full disclosure - salvage title - and move on

Luckily I had another Q4O/S running and simply switched after a few mods

Being in an expansive frame-of-mind, I simply installed a new copy - same ol' 330MB stick - what a beauty ..
After the 1st boot, there was a bright flashing neon sign saying we have new Nvidia video drivers available ...
My lucky day .... lets do it - but first took another handful of my favorite dumb pills and dived right in ...

BOOM - trashed ... again ....So what gives, guys & gals ....

Regards

Jack

PS - had an iron rule - do not mess with video drivers, unless they are included in original ISO - for good reason

#2 2018-01-21 18:49

crosscourt
Website

Re: Dumb Pills

The recent drivers combined with the kernel changes have caused some issues and welcome to Meltdown/Spectre hell. This doesnt include some other issues caused by various sources.

Im with you as I dont change drivers unless theres some really good reason to do so, added support for something or a fix I really need.

If you dont game use Nouveau and be happy.  What video card are you using with what system out of curiosity?

Ive got a wide range of new and old Nvidia cards and so far so good.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2018-01-21 18:57

tlmiller76

crosscourt wrote:

The recent drivers combined with the kernel changes have caused some issues and welcome to Meltdown/Spectre hell. This doesnt include some other issues caused by various sources.

Im with you as I dont change drivers unless theres some really good reason to do so, added support for something or a fix I really need.

If you dont game use Nouveau and be happy.  What video card are you using with what system out of curiosity?

Ive got a wide range of new and old Nvidia cards and so far so good.

And to be honest, even if you do game, in some cases Nouveau is sufficient.  In older cards with games that don't take advantage of the features that only the proprietary drivers offer, the performance difference isn't THAT wide anymore between the open source drivers and the proprietary drivers.  And as I recently discovered, Optimus can be made to work with Nouveau now, so yet another reason to NOT need the proprietary drivers.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#4 2018-01-21 19:00

crosscourt
Website

Agree tlmiller as I tend to state things from a more recent perspective, newer games.  Most people dont need recent Nvidia drivers and would be fine with the Nouveau drivers in most cases.

Thats why i ask what video card it is as older cards in many cases arent even supported with recent drivers.

Nouveau has improved a lot.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#5 2018-01-21 19:55

jackdanielsesq

Gentlemen

I simply do not buy this 'spectacular meltdown' chuck & jive - especially in a fresh virgin install with zero updates
The same Nvidia video card, plus in-situ drivers, work on 3x other distro types, only one not ever updated

'Sum Ting Wong' as the disaster-prone B777-300ER PIC so eloquently stated

BTW - wouldnt be caught dead gaming anything - except a hot blond, or two

Regards

Jack

#6 2018-01-21 20:10

crosscourt
Website

Ok youre saying you havent installed any updates except you updated the Nvidia drivers(didnt realize you hadnt installed any updates,read too fast sometimes).  What video card are you using? It works with other distros correct with new driver? Youre saying Q4OS alone is the issue.
Nvidia new driver has fixes for meltdown/Spectre.  If thats the case Im not sure whats going on unless its some kind of intermittent issue with the video card. 
You immediately boot into another distro with the new drivers and it works just fine?

Ok Im running Q4OS 2.4 with the new drivers and kernel with a 1050ti and no problems. Ive got many Nvidia cards and all are having no problems. Other distros ok as well.

Humor me and tell me what pc you are using even though other distros work. I run 10 distros of varying types and Im on MX Linux 17 right now, also Debian 9 based and no problems, curious.......

In regards to gaming to each his own, but I like brunettes and gaming and they like gaming as well.

Last edited by crosscourt (2018-01-21 20:30)

Board footer