You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-11 20:42

Dai_trying

Install options

Hi all, I today ran a fresh install on my laptop using q4os-1.4.5-i386.iso from SD card, The install went smoothly and everything is working ok. (I can almost hear you ask why are you posting here then.)
My problem is with

1. The automatic installation of grub to the mbr without asking consent. Maybe I missed it but could not see an option.

2. The formatting of existing swap space, This does not happen if installing from live-cd.

I do know easy fixes for each of these, but I would rather not have to remember to clean up after an installation.

The reason these are issues for me is because of multi-booting, I usually have at least 3 separate installations on most machines and editing 3 (or more) fstabs to reflect UUID of the freshly formatted swap space is a pain, as is reinstalling grub from my main installation.

Neither are major problems, but I could see some users having issues if trying out Q4os with a working linux alternative already installed and after installing it the original linux system takes an extra 90 seconds to boot as it will not be able to find the original swap.

I will try another installation just to double check the grub issue, but thought I would post first in case there are answers by the time I finish the install.

Dai

#2 2016-01-11 21:01

JimW

Re: Install options

#3 2016-01-11 21:32

Dai_trying

I can see why you thought it might help Jim, but the problem is with the installation iso There is absolutely no options for grub, it just automatically installs to MBR, which is more often than not (in my case at least) the wrong option. It is the fact that I cannot tell it to do (or not do do) anything.
Thanks for trying though smile

Dai

#4 2016-01-11 23:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Installation CD will setup grub bootloader automatically. This behavior will be probably revoked in the next major Q4OS release. Live CD installer offers grub install option.

It's possible to avoid formatting of swap partition in classic installer mode. Select existing swap partition to configure during disk partitioning queries and answer 'do not use partition', 'F' formatting mark will disappear, swap partition will not be formatted. You will have to manually set this partition in Q4OS 'fstab' as swap after installation.

#5 2016-01-11 23:14

bobby
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

I can see why you thought it might help Jim, but the problem is with the installation iso There is absolutely no options for grub, it just automatically installs to MBR, which is more often than not (in my case at least) the wrong option. It is the fact that I cannot tell it to do (or not do do) anything.
Thanks for trying though smile

Dai

Hi Dai_trying,

I am a noobie here but, I do see the "Install GRUB" on next step after Partition approval screen there is the check mark. Are you saying that does not work to prevent GRUB from being installed and modifying the MBR.

I use grub on all my computers so I have not deselected this "Install GRUB" check mark yet. 

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#6 2016-01-11 23:15

Dai_trying

Thanks q4osteam, I have been using the swap space option you gave for most distro's i install. I hope the bootloader does change, even if it just gives an option to install or not. I'll just use the live-cd for my installations for now as it is far superior IMO.

Dai

#7 2016-01-11 23:17

Dai_trying

@bobby You are right mate, but that is on the live-cd install, not the installation only iso. But thanks anyway smile

Dai

#8 2016-01-12 03:56

bobby
Website

opps, sorry.  I missed that sad

(I do that a lot)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#9 2016-01-12 14:07

JimW

bobby wrote:

opps, sorry.  I missed that sad

(I do that a lot)

Well, don't feel special! I did too!!! smile
(don't know if it's age or just being too helpful!)

#10 2016-01-12 18:42

bobby
Website

LOL lol

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer