You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-17 11:12

Kinel

System backup and Q4OS backup

I'm running a dual boot configuration of Windows 7 and Q4OS so using Acronis True Image I can  - and  do - perform regular full system backups.

I'm interested in backing up just Q4OS though and I notice that it seems to be pretty much wholly contained in the single folder in C:\ubuntu so the question is can I backup and restore simply by copying that folder to somewhere safe ?

Last edited by Kinel (2017-12-17 11:15)

#2 2017-12-17 11:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: System backup and Q4OS backup

Kinel wrote:

... can I backup and restore simply by copying that folder to somewhere safe ?

We can recommend you to only backup the 'root.disk' file. You can later restore the system by a new installation and rewriting this file by the backed up one. You can also switch between multiple files just by replacing the 'root.disk' file and rebooting.

#3 2017-12-17 12:06

Kinel

So let me understand you correctly.........

In the C:\ubuntu\disks folder I can back up 'root.disk' then mess about with Q4OS to my hearts content - even break it and uninstall and reinstall it - but by restoring that backed up root.disk file Q4OS will be restored to where it was at the instant I made the backup ?

If so in the case of an uninstall/reinstall am I to assume it will go off and reinstall any updates and additional packages which were previously installed ?

Mightily impressed if it's really that simple !

#4 2017-12-17 13:15

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Kinel wrote:

In the C:\ubuntu\disks folder I can back up 'root.disk' then mess about with Q4OS to my hearts content - even break it and uninstall and reinstall it - but by restoring that backed up root.disk file Q4OS will be restored to where it was at the instant I made the backup ?

Yes.

EDIT: You even don't need to perform uninstall/install process, just overwrite the 'root.disk' file by the backed up one.

Kinel wrote:

If so in the case of an uninstall/reinstall am I to assume it will go off and reinstall any updates and additional packages which were previously installed ?

After installation you will get a fresh Q4OS system with no updates and customization. Overwriting the 'root.disk' file fully restores the complete filesystem to where it was at the instant made of the backup.

Importatnt note:
The new version of installer places files into the 'C:\debian' not 'C:\ubuntu' folder, so the backup will work only for systems previously installed in 'C:\debian' folder.

Last edited by q4osteam (2017-12-17 13:37)

#5 2017-12-17 22:54

Midas

q4osteam wrote:

We can recommend you to only backup the 'root.disk' file. You can later restore the system by a new installation and rewriting this file by the backed up one. You can also switch between multiple files just by replacing the 'root.disk' file and rebooting.

1. Glad to know this -- as it's in fact the main reason I try to run all my OSes from virtual disks. Simplicity is the salt of life, if you ask me. cool

#6 2017-12-17 23:01

crosscourt
Website

Thats why I ended up running Linux instead of Windows, simpler is better. What devs describe above is a huge selling point for me that moved me to switch back in 2007.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#7 2017-12-18 07:11

Kinel

Kinel wrote:

q4osteam wrote:

After installation you will get a fresh Q4OS system with no updates and customization. Overwriting the 'root.disk' file fully restores the complete filesystem to where it was at the instant made of the backup.

Do I take that as a YES then ?

q4osteam wrote:

Importatnt note:
The new version of installer places files into the 'C:\debian' not 'C:\ubuntu' folder, so the backup will work only for systems previously installed in 'C:\debian' folder.

Again to be absolutely clear; it makes perfect sense of course that boot.disk can only be used for the folder it was backed up from but are you saying that the actual technique only works when Q4OS is in a debian folder ?

Presumably there was a reason for the change but is there any practical difference or advantage/disadvantage between having it in one or the other and if so is there any way to migrate an existing install in ubunto to debian ?

I'm going to do my own experiments and in fact I'm installing the newer debian version on my laptop right now (fully backed up with Acronis first of course !) but it's good to have a few pointers as to what to expect cool

#8 2017-12-18 10:06

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Kinel wrote:

Do I take that as a YES then ?

Yes

Kinel wrote:

Again to be absolutely clear; it makes perfect sense of course that boot.disk can only be used for the folder it was backed up from but are you saying that the actual technique only works when Q4OS is in a debian folder ?

Yes, exactly.

Kinel wrote:

... is there any way to migrate an existing install in ubunto to debian ?

It's possible, but highly complicated, so the answer should be "No".

Board footer