You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-13 22:52

wdm

New user problem with cdrom drive.

The distro that I have been using has stopped suporting 32 bit computers so I am looking for a replacement os.  The installation of Q4OS was very easy and I really like using it.  My computer has both a dvdrw and a cdrom drive.  The dvdrw is working ok  The cdrom will mount and view files but when I try to eject the disc the tray opens and then closes before the disc can be removed.  This only happens with Q4OS.  Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks for any help.

#2 2017-12-13 23:24

crosscourt
Website

Re: New user problem with cdrom drive.

Welcome to the forum!  Which version of Q4OS are you using, Orion or Scorpion?  Is the cdrom drive SATA or PATA?
How are you ejecting the cd, by the button on the drive or thru the OS?  Have you tested it both ways?

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2017-12-14 18:41

wdm

Thanks for your responce and the welcome.

I installed scorpion 2.4 32bit about 2 or so weeks ago.  The drive is a PATA asus cdrom that came with the computer in 2005.  The computer is a HP Pentium 4 3.06 ghz.  I'm using the TDE desktop and it does not matter if click in the OS or use the button, the tray will not stay open.  I have to reboot to get the disc out.  The drive works ok in the other 2 OSes that i have on the computer.

#4 2017-12-14 23:21

crosscourt
Website

It wont stay open but it does eject, correct?  For some reason the delay is off but given the age of the system and the fact its a pata drive this isnt surprising.

What other OS do you have installed on your computer? Doesnt happen with those OS.........
Typically this is a hardware issue not an OS issue, particularly with older cdrom drives that have older firmware. To give you an example Ive got three older cdrom drives Ive installed on the exact same system/OS and two are fine and one does the same thing yours does.
I use a standard master/slave setup with the cdrom drive the master and my dvdrw drive the slave on the same cable.

How do you have your dvd and cd drive setup, as master/slave or cable select?

Are the two cd/dvd drives on the same cable or is the cdrom drive on the same cable with the hard drive?

Have you tested the cdrom drive with the dvd drive disconnected so its the only drive on that cable?

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-12-15 04:44)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#5 2017-12-15 23:13

wdm

The cdrom is old but the dvdrw is a new replacement for the original hp dvdrw. I installed it about 7 mo ago.  It is a sata drive, so not on the same cable.

I dual boot with PCLOS and Mint, I keep both fully updated.  I have used PCLOS on this computer since 2007 but they no longer do 32bit.  I’m looking at Q4OS to replace PCLOS.  I like having 2 OS so if something bad happens I always have a backup.  Both drives work fine in both OS.

I have installed the MATE desktop using instruction in Q4OS user guide to see if problem was with TDE.  I still have a problem but not the same.  I can now insert and remove media with button on the drive but can not mount disc.  In fact I can not mount any external media either disc or usb drive.  I get popup “Not authorized to perform operation”, so my question now is how do I authorize myself to mount external media using MATE desktop.

#6 2017-12-16 23:37

crosscourt
Website

When you installed Scorpion with TDE originally did you use the full desktop profile?  Have you tried running a live session with Orion 1.8.8 to see if the problem occurs with that version. 1.8.8 would be the better choice in my opinion for your system even though PCLOS and Mint seem to work just fine.
I cant recreate your issue as everything works even with my older cd drive and older USB drives, even in Mate.

Even though I prefer Q4OS, you could also look at Mageia 6 32 bit classic installation, given it acts and looks a lot like PCLOS.

I also have used PCLOS since 2007.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-12-17 00:07)

#7 2017-12-18 18:08

wdm

I think that I did install the full desktop profile for scorpion.  I just tried the live media for orion and had same result with the cdrom.  Also did the same with antix live media.  I have not tried Mageia, for some reason I thought they were 64bit only. I will look into that.  I did have Manjaro installed for a little while only to learn that they were to drop 32bit support.

I could still use Q4OS scorpion without the old cdrom drive, although the issue with mate concerns me a little.  I really like mate and use it on both PCLOS and Mint.  I may do a freash install using the install only media and see if I have better luck.

Thank you very much for your help.  I really appriciate your input.

#8 2017-12-18 19:38

crosscourt
Website

Mageia 6 as far as I know still supports 32bit with the classic installation only.  You could also look at Ubuntu Mate since Mint works no doubt Ubuntu mate should work as well.

I like Mate a lot as well but in recent weeks Ive moved back to XFCE as i use both TDE/XFCE with Q4OS and also run MX Linux 17/Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE. 
You can also run OpenSUSE with Mate.

I also run PCLOS and Mageia 6 with KDE.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-12-18 19:45)

#9 2017-12-23 09:30

jackdanielsesq

Lol - obviously, the CD does not trust you - probably some earlier abuse - leave it be - if necessary,
change your boot parameters in BIOS - remove CD using the old toothpick, wire paper-clip trick,
with power-off

Regards

Jack

wdm wrote:

The distro that I have been using has stopped suporting 32 bit computers so I am looking for a replacement os.  The installation of Q4OS was very easy and I really like using it.  My computer has both a dvdrw and a cdrom drive.  The dvdrw is working ok  The cdrom will mount and view files but when I try to eject the disc the tray opens and then closes before the disc can be removed.  This only happens with Q4OS.  Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks for any help.

#10 2017-12-23 17:54

crosscourt
Website

Swapping out the cdrom would be the easiest way to solve it and in fact unless you need two disk drives just using the DVD drive that works would be simpler.

Older cdrom drives from 1996-2001 in my experience tended to have more of these types of problems as users extend their use with newer OS and dont do bios updates or firmware upgrades for the drives.

#11 2017-12-24 04:05

wdm

OK, something new has happened.  I reinstalled grub from my mint installation just in case I have to remove scorpion.  When I boot back into scorpion now I get a different login screen.  When I log into mate destop everything now works perfectly.  I can mount, view, and eject disc in both drives and usb drives.  I am only a user and not very good with software problems so I have no idea what happened.  If I ever have to reinstall the problems will probably come back but for now everything is working.  TDE desktop still has the eject issue with the old cdrom but that is no big deal.

I like scorpion better than any of the other 32bit distros that I have tried, so for now I will just use it with the mate desktop.

#12 2017-12-24 04:09

crosscourt
Website

So Mate works now, interesting.  Not sure why TDE has an issue but thats for another day. Glad youre enjoying Scorpion.

Board footer