You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-22 14:15

Rademes

Systemback`s alternative.

Good day!
I have been using Systemback for a long time to create Q4OS time snapshots, and have the ability to restore my system to earlier state. That recently saved my aunt`s notebook and my time. I was not forced to reinstall entire Q4OS and reconfigure it again because of LibreOffice Writer bug. Restored system to earlier state using Systemback and that`s all! Hope, in September this bug will be fixed, and I will be able to update safely...
But now the bad news. Systemback`s development was suspended sad !
So currently I am searching for alternative solution. I know, that Clonezilla is the most stable and well supported backup solution for Linux, but it`s main purpose is to make entire system backups on DVD/USB Flash drive, not incremental snapshots. Also it is not as convenient to use as Systemback.
So, I need another solution. Can you please suggest a good Systemback`s alternative?
Currently I am looking at Back In Time, which is currently being developed an has good user manual.
Has somebody used it? Can I trust it?

Last edited by Rademes (2017-07-22 14:17)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2017-07-22 18:20

crosscourt
Website

Re: Systemback`s alternative.

Look here,  http://alternativeto.net/software/systemback/

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-22 18:22)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#3 2017-07-22 23:25

johnrpm

I use grysnc, its not backup software in the normal way, but can save almost anything to almost anywhere, it has a graphical front end, and is fast.

just remembered why I use grysnc, it can backup to network, which many do not, if you backup to local disk and it fails you can be in a world of pain.

keep may be worth a look

Last edited by johnrpm (2017-07-23 00:10)

#4 2017-07-23 05:43

bin

I use Back in Time - it is very good. Produces browsable backups so you can get to files just from the backup without needing the software in place if required.

#5 2017-07-23 09:48

Rademes

crosscourt wrote:

Yes, I know about this portal, that`s how I found BackInTime. The thing is, I also want to know how good and reliable it is, besause system backup is very important thing, and if system restore fails, it can be a BIG disaster, especially on production machine.

johnrpm wrote:

just remembered why I use grysnc, it can backup to network, which many do not, if you backup to local disk and it fails you can be in a world of pain.

I will backup only on external USB hard disk. Most likely on this one. If it will be used only for system backups and nothing else, which I am planning to perform once a month, I think it will work for a long time.

bin wrote:

I use Back in Time - it is very good. Produces browsable backups so you can get to files just from the backup without needing the software in place if required.

I will give it a try. As I can see, It is being actively developed.
Can you please tell me, how you installed the latest version on Q4OS? In Debian repository, there is only very old version available. But in the official page only PPA repositories for Ubuntu are available...

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#6 2017-07-23 15:57

bin

I downloaded the tar.gz file.
https://github.com/bit-team/backintime/ … .20.tar.gz
Extract the folder backintime-1.1.20
Inside you'll find a useful readme and the build script makedeb.sh
I created the backintime-qt4_1.1.20_all.deb and backintime-common_1.1.20_all.deb as well as the notify package.
Installing the common file via gdebi will pull in the 4 dependencies. Then install the qt4 file via gdebi and you're good to go.

It's possible the dev team may want to make a package of this - if not already done so

Last edited by bin (2017-07-23 16:03)

#7 2017-07-23 16:31

crosscourt
Website

Here are more suggestions for backup tools,  www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/

I use Clonezilla but also use Dropbox for some of my backups.

Heres a good thread that discusses users experiences/comparisons with backup tools,
https://askubuntu.com/questions/2596/co … ckup-tools

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-23 16:41)

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#8 2017-07-23 20:07

Rademes

Thank you bin!
I have installed BackInTime. Made a test backup of some folders in my /home directory, and restored successfully. The only thing is, that after installation, the application creates two shortcuts in Start Menu, but one of them - Back In Time (root) - does not working. Looks like TDE does not accept backintime-qt4_polkit.
So I have to use tdesudo backintime-qt4 to run it as root. Also you have to install vim to see full backup process log.

P.S. Why I can not upload attachments here?

Last edited by Rademes (2017-07-23 20:13)

#9 2017-07-24 05:58

bin

You're welcome - if you're just looking after your /home then you shouldn't need to use the (root) application. Incidentally, if you install the Qt4 config package qt4-qtconfig this allows you to customise the interface of qt apps and at least give them some sorrt of similarity to your main desktop theme.

Yes - I tried to attach the file yesterday and no tool available - looks like it is not available in Off Topic, which makes sense I guess.

Last edited by bin (2017-07-24 06:00)

#10 2017-07-24 13:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bin wrote:

Yes - I tried to attach the file yesterday and no tool available - looks like it is not available in Off Topic ...

Fixed, users are now allowed to attach files up to 300kB.

#11 2017-07-24 15:57

JimW

q4osteam wrote:
bin wrote:

Yes - I tried to attach the file yesterday and no tool available - looks like it is not available in Off Topic ...

Fixed, users are now allowed to attach files up to 300kB.

Ask and you shall receive!!
Thanks Team!!
smile

#12 2017-07-24 22:30

crosscourt
Website

smile

#13 2017-08-18 09:40

Rademes

Good day!
This question is mainly for bin.
I have created full system backup, using the Modify For Full System Backup option in Settings dialog. The snapshot was created successfully, and was saved on the same hard disk. After some time, I have performed system restore, which has performed successfully, except one thing. After restore I had to do the Hard PC Restart using Reset button on my PC case, because when I tried to restart normally, using START menu, the system hanged. Then I have performed full system restore again, and after success, I tried to restart using terminal (sudo reboot). Again system hanged.
So, the only way to reboot system after restore is to press Reset button on PC case.
Is it normal?
And what does the option "Take a new snapshot regardless of there were changes or not" means?
Also, do you use option "Use checksums to detect changes" for your backups? How longer the time, snapshot is being made when this option is being checked?

Last edited by Rademes (2017-08-18 09:42)

#14 2017-08-18 22:28

bobby
Website

Good questions Rademes, I use SystemBack and would benefit from these answers.  I haven't had any problems with not reboot though that I can remember. I'll try a bkup / restore and see what happens.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#15 2017-08-19 00:03

crosscourt
Website

I think hes discussing backintime bobby, as hes trying to get use to it and wanting some advice from bin.

#16 2017-08-19 06:48

bin

Rademes wrote:

Good day!
This question is mainly for bin.
I have created full system backup, using the Modify For Full System Backup option in Settings dialog. The snapshot was created successfully, and was saved on the same hard disk. After some time, I have performed system restore, which has performed successfully, except one thing. After restore I had to do the Hard PC Restart using Reset button on my PC case, because when I tried to restart normally, using START menu, the system hanged. Then I have performed full system restore again, and after success, I tried to restart using terminal (sudo reboot). Again system hanged.
So, the only way to reboot system after restore is to press Reset button on PC case.
Is it normal?

First of all I'm glad that it has worked for you, always good to have real testing results!  If you are using the system live and have just replaced the entire system from backup then effectively you have replaced the program/command that the session manager is trying to call along with everything else. It's a bit like changing a tyre whilst driving the car. I have seen exactly the same thing happen and am not surprised.

Rademes wrote:

And what does the option "Take a new snapshot regardless of there were changes or not" means?

Exactly what it says - if you either have a scheduled backup, or call one manually, and nothing has changed do you still want a new snapshot? To some extent this depends on how long your machine takes in the snapshot process as to whether you use it or not. I would imagine you are snapshotting / and /home under different policies/profiles so it depends on what works for you.

Rademes wrote:

Also, do you use option "Use checksums to detect changes" for your backups? How longer the time, snapshot is being made when this option is being checked?

BiT uses rsync to handle file operations. Normally it just compares date and size to decide if a file has changed and so needs backup. If you enable Use checksums then it will use (normally) Md5 to checksum every byte. That's going to take time. How much would depend on how many files, how large, drive speed, RAM, CPU speed etc etc etc.

#17 2017-08-20 17:19

bobby
Website

crosscourt wrote:

I think hes discussing backintime bobby, as hes trying to get use to it and wanting some advice from bin.

Opps.  Thanks crosscourt, I need to slow down.  Doing 5 things in 5 different windows, can't do it like I use to.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#18 2017-08-20 17:37

crosscourt
Website

I have the same problem bobby as Im always popping back and forth between a couple of websites while doing other things.

#19 2017-08-21 09:31

Rademes

bobby wrote:

Good questions Rademes, I use SystemBack and would benefit from these answers.

Systemback is not being developed and supported anymore. So I have stopped using it.

bin wrote:

If you are using the system live and have just replaced the entire system from backup then effectively you have replaced the program/command that the session manager is trying to call along with everything else. It's a bit like changing a tyre whilst driving the car. I have seen exactly the same thing happen and am not surprised.

Thank you. By the way, the backintime`s author said, that "Overwriting a running system with old data can/will cause a system crash because you will overwrite essential files. I suggest to restore in a Live system". Luckily, my system seems like running fine after restore.
Anyway,  I am not so skilled to make custom Live system images.
Can you suggest Linux distro with Backintime preinstalled, so I could use it as Live image?

bin wrote:

I would imagine you are snapshotting / and /home under different policies/profiles so it depends on what works for you.

No, I am snapshoting / (everything) under one policy...

#20 2017-08-21 15:25

bin

As regards Live system - always a good idea, when using that it is easy to install Backintime from debs on the hard drive/USB key - so you can just use Q4OS live. Then sudo apt-get install gdebi and then use gdebi to install the Backintime debs from your hd/USB key etc. That will pull in the relevant dependencies and allow you to carry out the restore.
Of course, what you could do is to set up a minimal Q4OS, install Abckintime and then use Systemback to create a bootable ISO from that version - which will then give you a live image woth Backintime installed.....

As regards different policies - your OS doesn't change unless you install new software or updates. Once it's stable you can just snapshot it once a month and you should be fine.
Your personal stuff in /home is another matter and will benefit from more frequent snaphots but again, you can target it specifically if you want. I backup my photos far more often than documents for example.

#21 2017-08-21 21:18

Dai_trying

One option you could use is to modify the Q4OS live cd and install backintime onto it for your personal use. The Developers original post about it can be found here

#22 2017-08-22 05:47

bin

that too... smile

#23 2017-11-15 09:12

bin

Although it does not provide an iso facility, this is worth a look https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

It is concerned solely with the OS, not user files and can be run from a live medium if required.

#24 2017-11-24 16:06

lucbertz

Recently Linux Live Kit (www.linux-live.org) was updated in order to create the new version of Slax (www.slax.org) , now with Debian Stretch as base system.
Do you think Linux Live Kit can be applied to latest release of Q4OS?

less is more

#25 2017-11-24 18:03

Dai_trying

Not sure what you mean by "Do you think Linux Live Kit can be applied to latest release of Q4OS?", if you mean can you use it with Q4os then the (Linux Live Kit) developers do say it can be used with any Linux distribution so long as you can install the required dependencies. If you mean can it be included into the installation/live images then I would think probably not as the Q4OS developers try to keep the images as small as possible (within reason) to allow the user to create their installation to their own preference.

Having said that if the devs think it could be of benefit to include it, I'm sure they will make a post to let us know. smile

Board footer