You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-02 17:36

JimW

Strange delete actions

I have had some problems deleting files.

If I had many files in a folder and I selected a portion of them, held down the shift key, right clicked on a selected file, many times it would select only that file, other times it selects some of the files I had selected and some that I had not!

I decided to experiment and generated 100 empty files in a new folder. I found that if I select some files, right click, hold shift key, select "move to trash", then tell it to delete,  it seems to work correctly. However if I select files, hold shift key, and select "delete" it messes up.
Is this a feature? smile

#2 2016-08-02 20:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Strange delete actions

You shouldn't use right mouse click and Shift key combination, as it will make re-selection depending on the current cursor position. Please see explanation below.

You can select multiple files by several keyboard methods, couple of them are as follows:
1. Select block of files at once - select starting single file by left mouse click, hold Shift key and then select connected block of files by second left mouse click. You can select a block of files at once.
2. Hold Ctrl key and select multiple discontinuous files or blocks by left mouse click.

Once you have selected a portion of files, you shouldn't use right mouse click and shift key combination. It will make re-selection depending on the cursor position. It could behave seemingly unpredictable. We would recommend to use key combination Shift + Delete to permanently delete selected files, or Delete key to move files to trash, or right mouse click to move files to the trash.

If you feel it is an incorrect behavior, you could report a bug at https://bugs.trinitydesktop.org/

#3 2016-08-03 02:27

JimW

Thanks q4osteam -
I've always heard that it is difficult to make something idiot proof because idiots are so resourceful! smile

Just one of my idiot moments.

#4 2016-08-03 08:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Your question is well-founded, we can confirm, the current solution is not perfect and could be confusing in some situations. You are welcome to ask for anything.

Board footer