You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-27 22:03

laptaper

"sudo apt-get install" doesn't prompt for password

Hi,

I installed Q4OS on my laptop last night and so far am loving what I see.  The one thing that has me scratching my head, though, is whenever I install software via the command line, I'm never asked for my password.  I just type in "sudo apt-get install [name of program(s)]", apt tells me what it's going to download and install and asks if I want to go ahead, I choose the default "Y", then it goes to work.  Not once am I prompted for my password.  I'd like to keep this OS on my computer, but if I can't fix it so it demands a password when I want to install software I can't consider it secure enough to use.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill

#2 2016-04-27 22:12

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: "sudo apt-get install" doesn't prompt for password

'apt-get' commands don't require password in Q4OS, if user is member of 'sudo' group. Non 'sudo' users are not allowed to run 'apt-get' commands. You can configure it in '/etc/sudoers.d/30_q4os_apt' file.

#3 2016-04-27 22:30

laptaper

Ouch! Is there any way to change that so sudo-enabled users still have to provide a password, or else set up another account that doesn't have sudo access but can still login as a sudo-enabled user in the terminal to install software?  E.g.:

ordinaryuser@q40s-laptop ~ $ su - sudouser
Password: [password entered]
sudouser-q4os-laptop sudouser #

which would allow one to do administrative tasks in terminal, then exit from root, thus securing the system from outside attack.

#4 2016-04-27 22:40

laptaper

Sorry, just read the last sentence in your reply.  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks!

#5 2016-04-28 11:40

Dai_trying

There is also an option to reduce the time-out for requiring a password again in this post

Last edited by Dai_trying (2016-04-28 11:40)

Board footer