You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-16 20:53

Whirlinurd

Extended desktop for multiple monitors. (VGA) (netbook)

Hi.

Have some limitations with the output of VGA on my netbook. Only have the basic mirroring of the screen to the VGA output at 800x600. Can switch to several other resolutions on the VGA output but that disables my netbook monitor. Maybe there should be several screens to configure but only one screen is detected in the Desktop Display Settings.

Maybe there is some other software in Synaptic Package manager that does the trick. It would be nice if I could run several monitors at different resolutions as extended destop.

Other then that Q4OS runs great on my atom netbook. After installing the basics it's the only one that can run anything. Tried several ubuntu systems but they are just to heavy to run. They could only do half without crapping out.

Q4OS is really fantastic.

Always tried to get some new use out of my old netbook. Have it hooked up to my television for light browsing. Always hoped that linux could run embedded video. Q4OS is the only one that could pull this off using max 80 percent cpu for full screen youtube.

Keep up the good work. I really like this one. Please keep it as light as possible...

Thanks.

#2 2016-04-16 21:02

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Extended desktop for multiple monitors. (VGA) (netbook)

Whirlinurd wrote:

It would be nice if I could run several monitors at different resolutions as extended destop.

Try to run and figure out 'tderandrtray' tool from start menu or command line.

#3 2016-04-16 21:51

Whirlinurd

This works better. Got it running with my native resolution of 1024x600 on my netbook and 1360x768 on my television. It has some garbage on screen but it is the only resolution that is with a better aspect ratio.

Had this also with ubuntu and windows. Something with the resolution on my television on VGA. Some white line on the bottom of the screen and the picture is shifted a little bit to the left.

Aah, the white line is gone when resetting the input on the television. It seems it's just some input switching noise and for the picture shift. It's probably a netbook and or VGA input flaw on that resolution. On 1024x768 the picture is filled perfectly but just not aspect ratio corrected.

Video plays a little worse on the greater resolution. I know that a single core netbook is not really made for this kind of abuse. It still runs on a stable 60 percent cpu when playing video in the browser. I am really impressed that this is possible.

The only strange thing is that the process manager is opened on the secondary display. Everything else opens on the main display.

Thanks again.

ps. My bad. Had to manually set my tv to a 1360x768 input. Now the picture is spot on.

Last edited by Whirlinurd (2016-04-16 22:46)

#4 2016-04-18 20:59

Whirlinurd

Hi.

I am such a beginner with these kind of stuff if it is not a windows os. Just wondering. I have made a working profile in tderandrtray. Have to run it manually now. How can I start it on boot. What is the easiest method to start it with parameters including the profile?

Thanks.

Nevermind. Got it working within tderandrtray. Had some troubles with everything sticking correctly. Must be my setup. Works fine now.

Still have an idea that it's a little more difficult then i am used too. Not knowing where to find everyting and what is possible. Will find out soon enough.

Last edited by Whirlinurd (2016-04-18 22:01)

Board footer