You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-17 09:42

izntmac

Installing Softmaker Office and Seamonkey

I was wondering somebody could give me directions (step by step) if possible to install SeaMonkey Internet Suite and Softmaker Office for Linux on Q4OS. I have it installed on an old Dell E4300 laptop and it flies! Love it. Thanks! George Crawford

#2 2016-03-17 09:59

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Installing Softmaker Office and Seamonkey

You can download Softmaker Office installer here https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/files/apps . Simply download installer and doubleclick it in filemanager.

SeaMonkey installation - http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas … stallation, strictly follow the Debian way.

#3 2016-03-17 16:39

Dai_trying

@izntmac
Welcome to the forum, and could you let us know if you have any issues getting Seamonkey set up, I know Bobby is trying to get all things automated and it might be one for him to look at.

Dai

#4 2016-03-19 15:10

izntmac

Thank you. I have Softmaker Office Installed and plan on just sticking with Firefox. Thanks to both of you for your help. smile!
George

#5 2016-03-20 11:40

Jerome

I use Seamonkey and I have had no issues installing/running it. I only use it for the included WYSIWYG html editor "seamonkey --edit" not for the browser and email client (although those work well too).

#6 2016-03-23 05:47

DavidB
Website

FYI:  You don't have to "install" Seamonkey.  It is my web browser of choice and all I do is download the tar file, unzip it and run the seamonkey.sh executable.  Done.

To add an icon for Seamonkey to your apps menu, right-mouse click on the Q4OS application launcher, select Panel Menu -> Add Application to Panel -> Add Non TDE Application and then point the seamonkey.sh executable in the Executable variable box.

Running Seamonkey this way always ensures that you are running the latest version, and don't have to wait for it to be upgraded in the repos.

Last edited by DavidB (2016-03-23 05:48)

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#7 2016-03-23 10:24

Dai_trying

@ DavidB
  If I were being pedantic I would say that in itself is an installation routine. And is probably the sort of thing that Bobby would like to create an installer for, a simple download and click installer could do all that without the user being hassled.(aimed at new users)
  But  I'm not going to be pedantic so I won't say it smile

#8 2016-03-23 14:51

DavidB
Website

Dai_trying wrote:

@ DavidB
  If I were being pedantic I would say that in itself is an installation routine.

Well, let's just say, it reflects more of a self contained install.  I like these sorts of "installs" because I can install them on an SD card, if my PC's hard drive is limited, as it is on my little ASUS EeePC.  I wish there were more applications that offered this form of install; at least as an option.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway  wink  ), I really like the PortableApps idea.

Current setup:  Acer Aspire One D257 / Q4OS Centaurus / TDE / SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

#9 2016-03-23 15:10

DavidB
Website

Not sure about Softmaker Office, but the WPS office suite works like Seamonkey.  Just download the tar file, unzip and run.  They do offer a .deb file, however, if this method of installation is preferred.  The .deb file is smaller, but the full tar file is more "portable".

Just thought I'd mention it.

Board footer