You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-16 15:55

rcglidden

Raspberry pi 2 and Berryboot

I am pleased to see a KDE like distro for the Raspberry Pi 2, thanks!

First off, I use Berryboot to install arm OS's to USB memory sticks. I have installed Raspian, Ubuntu 15.10, etc, without any problems. And I have INSTALLED Q4os without problems. I followed all the instructions from Berryboot to do this properly.

When I boot into Q4os as user:Pi everything looks good. However, I can not mount ANY drives (memory sticks connected to USB ports) giving me a generic error about what the problem(s) may be. The default file manager sees all the drives (icons appear) but will not mount them. I am not sure if this is a Berryboot issue with setting things up or not. Seeing as everything is built upon Raspbian, which I’ve installed and run without problems, I wouldn't think it's the Berryboot install.

Also, although I have LAN there is no indicator in the task-bar showing a connection.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 2015-12-16 22:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Raspberry pi 2 and Berryboot

You may need to install 'udisks2' and 'fuse' packages to be able to mount drives. Terminal commands to install:
$ sudo apt-get install udisks2 fuse

There is no network indicator in Q4OS available at the time. However you may find 'knetstats-trinity' package useful. It is a simple TDE network monitor that show rx/tx LEDs of any network interface in a system tray icon. Installation commands:
$ sudo apt-get install knetstats-trinity

#3 2015-12-17 12:11

Steve

As regards the mounting of external drives, I've noticed the following:

When I plug in an external drive via USB2, sometimes I get an icon on the panel, sometimes I do not.  I've not yet been able to find any logic to explain this.

Nevertheless, I've always been able to mount external drives, using the panel icon when there is one or using the mount function under the 'My Computer' hierarchy.

#4 2015-12-17 15:33

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Tested USB stick on Raspberry PI model B several times, always get panel icon and drive is mountable. Put output of terminal command here to analyze, when you plug-in and no icon appears:
$ lsusb

#5 2015-12-18 14:49

rcglidden

Thanks Q4OS Team;

Selecting "udisks2" from the repositories worked for me. Fuse and about half a dozen other dependencies were automatically selected and installed at the same time. Were these included with the default arm install? If so, then Berryboot might have removed them prior to installing the system for some reason.

The LAN/network indicator is not really an issue for me, I just noticed there is one for the x86/64 installs.

Now....
I tried installing the FULL KDE4 with kde4-install but it failed at some Q4os dependency error. I realize this may not be something I should to do, but is it possible? If so I can give you the exact error I receive. KDE4 full runs fairly well with Q4os for x86/64 under VirtualBox on Linux, and installed without errors. If it runs as well as it does under VirtualBox on the Raspberry Pi 2 I would be happy.

Thanks.

Last edited by rcglidden (2015-12-18 14:54)

#6 2015-12-18 15:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

'udisks2' package is not part of the pure Q4OS arm installation, as it drags 'policykit' daemon as dependency losing memory and cpu power. 'udisks2' is part of basic and desktop profile.

KDE4 on Raspbian is probably install-able, but 'qinst-kde4' will not work at all, due to unsatisfied dependencies. We will update the script to exit with an issue on attempt to run under RPI.

Board footer