You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-18 14:46

MarkF

Live-64Bit Aquarius does not start with Dell E6410

Hi,
I am new in Linux, just testing some live-versions for getting a feeling what Linux could "fit" to me.
For this I am using a SSD, which is attached via USB or eSATA and formatted with Ventoy (newest version) for direct start of regularily used ISOs, stored on the SSD, and for "indirect" start with Ventoy-Browser via F2 of ISOs stored on other media, e.g. the internal SSD. This is just for information about the environment.
Now I wanted to test Q4OS and MX-Linux, newest 64Bit-Live-versions, with my Laptop Dell E6410. Running Windows I downloaded the ISO-files MX-23.1_x64.iso and q4os-5.3-x64-tde.r1.iso and stored them on the internal SSD. After reboot with the Ventoy-SSD (attached via eSATA) I run it´s Brwoser with F2, selected the ISO-files on the internal SSD and started. Both run and showed the starting window for start-options. MX-23.1_x64 was able to start and run/wo problems. But q4os-5.3-x64-tde.r1 did not start, neither "normal" nor in failsafe-mode. The menu disappears for a short moment and reappears immediately and for a very, very short moment I can see in the bottom line a message, that the kernel can not be loaded due wrong parameters.
I testet it also with a HP dc6029-deskop-PC and there q4os-5.3-x64-tde.r1 was starting and running.
For further testing I removed all arguments in the command line but w/o success.
What can I do elso, what may be the problem?
Other Live-Linux, e.g. Knoppix, Linux Mint, start and work w/o problems.

#2 2023-10-18 15:14

MarkF

Re: Live-64Bit Aquarius does not start with Dell E6410

Add.: The error-message is: Booting Kernel failed: Invalid Argument.
Very strange: As mentioned I have testet also with a Deskopt-PC. For this I have copied the ISO to "free space" on the Ventoy-SSD, not the first partition where the ISOs are stored for getting displayed in Ventoy+s menu, and selected as mentioned (also) with F2/browser. Now I have done the same with the E6410, means: Booting with the Ventoy-SSD via eSATA and selected the ISO via F2 from this SSD (it´s "free space") and not, as in the first test, from the internal SSD, where the ISO was stored by the download. And now it´s running!
To be sure I have tested again starting the ISO stored on the internal SSD and again it does not start with the above reported error-message. But MX-Linux-ISO, stored at the same place/directory, is starting and running. 
A problem only in Ventoy? But something is different with the Q4OS-ISO, because other ISOs kann be started in this way.

#3 2023-10-18 16:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Live-64Bit Aquarius does not start with Dell E6410

An OS must be supported by Ventoy to be able to boot. So we would guess Q4OS support in Ventoy is crippled in some way. We can recommend you to make the proper Q4OS bootable USB using some of recommended way https://q4os.org/dqa018.html .

We can also recommend you to try Q4OS for Windows installer https://q4os.org/dqa014.html , you can safely remove it anytime.

Board footer