You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-22 08:30

globetrotterdk

(SOLVED) ee (easyedit) make install error.

I have successfully compiled the ee editor from github ee. However, I get the following error:

$ make install
cp ee /usr/local/bin/ee
cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/local/bin/ee': Permission denied
make: *** [Makefile:24: install] Error 1

This suggests that I need to use su or sudo to run make install. ee is an editor like nano and needs to be able to be run as a regular user, so running make install as root is out. Likewise, /usr/local/bin is for programs that a normal user may run. This suggests that something about the directory structure or ownership isn't correct. How do I rectify this so that I can make install ee as a regular user?

Last edited by globetrotterdk (2023-08-22 14:27)

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

#2 2023-08-22 13:21

Senas Komunistas

Re: (SOLVED) ee (easyedit) make install error.

The

/usr/local

hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used for programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade software in /usr

More info here

Therefore, you must use sudo to install this program.

But before you do that, think about whether you need it. It's quite easy to compile software from source code tarballs downloaded from the software's website, but not always so easy to remove it later.
When you install software this way, you will not be able to remove it with apt-get or Synaptic. The APT packaging system can only remove software that was installed by the APT packaging system. Even worse, software installed this way can sometimes conflict with the software packaged for Debian.

Software installed this way also does not benefit from security updates the way that Debian packages do. If you want to keep your system up to date without having to manually compile and reinstall for every update, stick to the Debian packages.

The make install script may make invalid assumptions about where the compiled binary and its associated files should exist in the filesystem and under what set of permissions / ownership it should run. Software installed this way could also replace important software vital to system and package maintenance, making it difficult to repair your system using standard Debian tools.

#3 2023-08-22 14:30

globetrotterdk

Re: (SOLVED) ee (easyedit) make install error.

Thanks for the advice. I have created a tip for the entire process, should anyone else be a fan of ee as well. The tip can be found here:
https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 187#p25187

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

Board footer