You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-17 05:13

Michael_

Trinity Desktop Problem regarding default File Manager / Konqueror

I'm not running Q4OS because the graphics card in my laptop is not supported but since you guys
have lots of experience with debian and trinity desktop i'm still hoping you can help me fix this problem.

So what i run is MX Linux Xfce 21.3 (Debian based) + Trinity Desktop that i manually installed on top of it.

The problem is that when i download something with firefox or google chrome and then open the files path
(from the browser) it does not open the path using konqueror but thunar. I tried all kinds of things but so far with no success.
Also when i run "mimeopen -d /" it does not even show konqueror as an option.

Does someone know how to fix this annoying problem?

#2 2023-07-17 06:45

bin

Re: Trinity Desktop Problem regarding default File Manager / Konqueror

So you've installed MX XFCE and then added Trinity Desktop

In TDE, go to Control Panel>TDE Components>File Associations>inode>Directory
You may find Thunar and Konqeror are both there and just need to to be changed in order. Or you may need to add Konqueror.

However - I would leave things as they are as one thing that Konqeuror (Trinity) does not do is to highlight the file you have just downloaded when you go to open the download folder. I have a lot of download files and is a pain without this.

#3 2023-07-17 11:43

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@Michael_
We can recommend you to give a try Quarkos Trinity as it's Ubuntu based distro https://quark-os.sourceforge.io/ . It may support your graphics card.
Someone could help to solve the issue with Q4OS, it you post your laptop specification.

#4 2023-07-17 16:51

Michael_

bin wrote:

So you've installed MX XFCE and then added Trinity Desktop

In TDE, go to Control Panel>TDE Components>File Associations>inode>Directory
You may find Thunar and Konqeror are both there and just need to to be changed in order. Or you may need to add Konqueror.

I already made sure that konqueror is the standard here. Firefox and google chrome ignore that, though.

However - I would leave things as they are as one thing that Konqeuror (Trinity) does not do is to highlight the file you have just downloaded when you go to open the download folder. I have a lot of download files and is a pain without this.

For now i still would like to use konqueror.

q4osteam wrote:

@Michael_
We can recommend you to give a try Quarkos Trinity as it's Ubuntu based distro https://quark-os.sourceforge.io/ . It may support your graphics card.
Someone could help to solve the issue with Q4OS, it you post your laptop specification.

https://www.notebookcheck.com/Samsung-M60.5505.0.html

It's very old an relies on the nvidia340 driver.
AFAIK, MX Linux is the last distro that supports that driver.

#5 2023-07-18 06:35

bin

You might try running xfce4-settings-manager from Konsole and then see if you can set Konqeror as the default File Manager in Default Applications.

#6 2023-07-18 16:58

Michael_

bin wrote:

You might try running xfce4-settings-manager from Konsole and then see if you can set Konqeror as the default File Manager in Default Applications.

Unfortunately that does not work. I had to add it manually to the list but after doing that and setting it, the behavior of firefox and/or chrome did not change. They still use thunar instead of konqueror.

Last edited by Michael_ (2023-07-18 16:58)

#7 2023-07-19 06:42

bin

OK so this is an issue with the way xdg open does or does not behave under Trinity Desktop. So, I'd suggest you need to start looking for info about xdg-mime settings. https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … nvironment may help get you started.

#8 2023-07-19 16:25

Michael_

bin wrote:

OK so this is an issue with the way xdg open does or does not behave under Trinity Desktop. So, I'd suggest you need to start looking for info about xdg-mime settings. https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … nvironment may help get you started.

I already did run
xdg-mime default konqueror.desktop inode/directory

and
xdg-mime query default inode/directory

also returns konqueror.desktop but still no effect on firefox and chrome.

Board footer