You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-09 07:27

vanquishedangel

How to set up and use bcache

Hi guys, I would like to experiment with bcache a bit but finding online instruction is hard. I have set up a bcache device but I need a way to install bcache on the root hard drive, and I can not find anyway to do that.

Perhaps it would be easier if anyone knew where I could get the package python3-blocks per chance?

#2 2023-07-09 16:45

vanquishedangel

Re: How to set up and use bcache

Ok so i got python3-blocks and I have its dependency python3-maintboot_0.1.0-1_all.deb however, when installing it, it complains of not having python3.3 installed. I have tried downloading the pacake from python database/repository and converting it using alien, but it still ssays that python3.3 is not installed. Any ideas?

I have also tried symlinking using the ln -s command to name the symlink python3.3 and linking it to python3.11 but that has failed so far.

Last edited by vanquishedangel (2023-07-09 16:52)

#3 2023-07-10 19:23

vanquishedangel

Re: How to set up and use bcache

I gave up after trying may different options including dm-cache, enhance IO, flashcache, etc. A lot or all of these required formatting or erasing the hard drive/partitions and ran into various issues and found no really good guides to explain what I was doing. In the end there would not have been any really good performance boost except when the main hard drive would be under load. For this reason, dm-cache would have been best (speed would be limited by ancient connectors on the dell d430, so doing some splitting of the work may have helped and all SSD attached are about the same speed anyway except the amtron 2gig PCMCIA card is a lot slower).

The problem with dm-cache was that after creating the partitions I could not copy the OS to it, and it did not show up as an option for timeshift to restore to.

Timeshift is amazing by the way!

Last edited by vanquishedangel (2023-07-10 19:24)

Board footer