You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-23 06:22

GNU2Linux

Succcesful installation of Q4OS but secondary hard drive won't show.

I'm brand new to Linux and chose Q4OS to revive my old Pentium D 3.00 Ghz desktop pc with 2 GB of RAM. Everything with Q4OS is working well so far, except for some reason the secondary internal hard drive that I use as a data only drive in the tower isn't showing as a drive I can access in Linux. I mistakenly installed Q4OS on that secondary drive the first time I tried then wiped out the partition on the secondary drive from Windows hastily before installing Q4OS from USB to replace Windows XP on the primary drive as intended. Maybe that caused my current issue. 

This is what shows with the parted command in the console. Maxtor is my system drive containing the Q4OS and the Western Digital below that is recognized by the system here even though I cannot access it to add files to it from the desktop.  Maybe it needs to be reformatted so the system can access it or I have to create a partition or something so Linux can read it?  Any help is appreciated.

myname@q4os-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo parted --list
[sudo] password for myname:
Model: ATA Maxtor 6L160M0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
1      1049kB  159GB  159GB   primary   ext4            boot
2      159GB   160GB  1023MB  extended
5      159GB   160GB  1023MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA WDC WD1200JB-00D (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

myname@q4os-desktop:~/Desktop$

#2 2023-06-28 20:29

GNU2Linux

Re: Succcesful installation of Q4OS but secondary hard drive won't show.

Just want to mark this solved so no one bothers trying to decipher what my issue was.

Took a few days of Googling and reading until I realized I had to one- download gparted partition manager to create a partition on my non-system hard drive; two-figure out how to mount it, a new concept for a Windows user; three- had to copy some command in terminal that create write permissions for myself as a user so I could copy or write files there; and then lastly four- edit a certain system file to make the drive get auto-mounted each time I restart the computer and not have to do it manually every time. Really made me miss Windows easy automatic handling of hard drives by just assigning them letters.

#3 2023-06-29 10:06

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Succcesful installation of Q4OS but secondary hard drive won't show.

GNU2Linux wrote:

Just want to mark this solved so no one bothers trying to decipher what my issue was.

Yes, that would be fine, you can just edit the original post and update the subject.

Board footer