You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-07 06:49

julian

Q4OS on an old Lenovo T61

Tried several other linux distos but this was the only one I could get to install on a machine this old.  Q4OS rules!  Thanks guys!

#2 2023-07-10 09:03

TheScarletPimpernel

Re: Q4OS on an old Lenovo T61

I have two Lenovo T61p with 2 GB RAM (16 year old machines)

I had no trouble running with the  following distros on that hardware:

Q4OS
MX Linux
antiX
Bodhi
FossaPup
BionicPup
FatDog64
Linux Lite
Linux Mint
Lubuntu
LXLE
Komander
Manjaro
Kubuntu
Zorin Lite
SliTaz
Slax
Instant OS
Porteus Cinnamon
Porteus Gnome
Porteus KDE
Porteus LXDE
Porteus LXQT
Porteus Mate
Porteus Openbox
Porteus XFCE
Xubuntu
Ubuntu Mate
Peppermint

The one surprise to me was that Mint Cinnamon ran, but it did.   
Testing consisted of connecting to wifi (all but SliTaz), firing up a browser, navigating to youtube, playing a youtube video, watching a video saved on a usb stick, opening up various docs (sometimes ad to install software),opening spreadsheet, opening a word processor, running a terminal (free -m) etc.

A common issue on many distros was the need to turn off hardware acceleration on some browsers to prevent freezes but other than that things worked.    Now to be clear I would not recommend the entire list above for that old hardware, but a subset of it certainly is appropriate.   

You can look at my first post in tis forum and see RAM utilization of many of the distros above on a T61.

Glad you found Q4OS, it is a stellar distro.

#3 2023-07-10 19:31

vanquishedangel

Re: Q4OS on an old Lenovo T61

I am glad it worked out, finding great solutions for older hardware can be rough due to how many advertise they are for low end but they really are not. Q4os is great so if possible, try to donate so it keeps going:)

I created a thread here about tweaks I applied on a computer from the same era! it may help you as well.

https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4430

Board footer