You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-06 13:00

FlexQ4

Basilisk browser does not start

Hello,
got a Linux tarball of Basilisk Web browser from here https://basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml (64-bit).
Unpacked the archive in a fresh Q4Os 4.12 (64-bit TDE) installation but it doesn't start -> screenshot.
what's wrong here?
Thank you

Attachments:
png snapshot1.png, Size: 32.53 KiB, Downloads: 127

#2 2023-05-07 07:15

bin

Re: Basilisk browser does not start

Tested this on Live CD in VM with both 4.11 and  4.12 TDE 64 bit.

Make sure you have extracted the tarball correctly - I use ark-trinity, making sure to tell it o extract All Files - which is not the default.

I think you have created a Link to Application on your desktop, and possibly you have entered the command incorrectly.

For the launcher it just needs the full path to the binary in the command line e.g.:-

/home/adminq/Downloads/basilisk/basilisk

However, it's not going to work out of the box as running from the basilisk folder in Konsole I get

adminq@debian:~/Downloads/basilisk$ ./basilisk
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/adminq/Downloads/basilisk/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

In order to run it needs

sudo apt install libdbus-glib-1-2 libgtk-3-0

See how you get on with that.

Last edited by bin (2023-05-07 07:24)

#3 2023-05-07 12:25

FlexQ4

Many thanks for your reply, bin!
The culprit was a corrupt download of the tar itself!
Thanks also for your diligent advice to install libdbus-glib-1-2 libgtk-3-0 libraries, they're necessary for Palemoon browser as well.
Oh, how i love these old XUL browsers: simply copied the basilisk Profile folder from the Windows 7 partition and everything is there as in Windows: Tabs, bookmarks, Add-Ons, logins, history... :-)

However, the inexpressive message before leaves me somewhat baffled... see the screenshot again.
Have a nice sunday!

Attachments:
png snapshot2.4.png, Size: 117.11 KiB, Downloads: 110

#4 2023-05-07 14:34

FlexQ4

Just another question: i can start basilisk from the terminal with

./basilisk -profile ./Profile

(presuming path is set to basilisk directory). How can i achieve this simple profile directive "-profile ./Profile" when starting it from a desktop's Link to application?
Using the command  '/home/me/Programs/basilisk/basilisk -profile ./Profile' does not work (TDEInit could not launch ]'/home/me/Programs/basilisk/basilisk -profile ./Profile') see picture below.

Attachments:
png snapshot3.png, Size: 20.79 KiB, Downloads: 109

#5 2023-05-08 06:41

bin

Assuming you have just one profile - that which you copied over from W7 - then I would take a different approach.

Basilisk keeps its profiles in the hidden folder /home/me/.basilisk-dev

Look in that folder and you'll see the default profile folder plus profiles.ini

Add the folder with the one you copied from W7 - make sure the contents of the one from W7 are visible immediately you open that folder rather than being 'nested' in any folder inside that. In other words it needs to look like the default folder when opened. Edit profiles.ini to the name the W7 folder and remove the old default. The desktop launcher will then work quite happily with just the basic launch command and also any links you ever click in emails etc will also launch basilisk correctly.

Last edited by bin (2023-05-08 06:42)

#6 2023-05-08 13:56

FlexQ4

Dear bin,
thanks again for your feedback: everything described correctly - and well known to me as a 2 decades user of mozilla (derivated) browsers wink. however, allways trying to get it as simple as possible (omit the /home/me/.basilisk-dev way in this case) i'd like to have the profile-specification directly in the (desktop's link's) call - just like it works nicely from the console.
Maybe i try a simple script later...

Board footer