You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-24 07:59

bretsim

Torbrowser from Synaptic?

As I mentioned in my other topic today, I'm trying to set up my q4os system as closely as possible to my previous profile. I seem to remember I was able to get Torbrowser from Synaptic last time, which added a start menu entry etc and made launching it easy. I can't seem to find any way of repeating that with this version of q4os.

I've tried installing from the archive files provided by the Torbrowser website but the shortcut it creates to launch the browser doesn't want to work, so instead I'd really like to get it from Synaptic again.

Any way of doing this?

#2 2023-04-24 16:29

hchiper

Re: Torbrowser from Synaptic?

Maybe this?

$ sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

For a description:

$ apt show torbrowser-launcher

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#3 2023-04-24 17:07

bretsim

hchiper wrote:

Maybe this?

$ sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

For a description:

$ apt show torbrowser-launcher

Would that not require TB to be available to Synaptic though? A search for Tor returns nothing, and the Tor repositories don't seem to add properly to the repo list or update.

I think last time I added a repository and then Synaptic found it easily, but I have no idea which repository that might have been.

Just realised now I have my old filesystem mounted I might be able to find the sources list from that and copy it over perhaps?

#4 2023-04-24 19:35

hchiper

I just simulated an installation with apt (and option install --dry-run) and everything seem OK.
I can find my way with apt and synaptic is not installed on my system.

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#5 2023-04-24 19:41

fred

hii,

perhaps test this for the latest version of tor-browser

for 64bits version

wget https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/12.0.5/tor-browser-linux64-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz

or for 32bits version

wget https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/12.0.5/tor-browser-linux32-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz
tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux64-10.5.4_ALL.tar.xz

for 64bits

tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux32-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz

for 32 bits

cd tor-browser_ALL

install the Tor Browser  and Tor browser icon :

./start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app

if it helps...

#6 2023-04-25 08:59

bretsim

fred wrote:

hii,

perhaps test this for the latest version of tor-browser

for 64bits version

wget https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/12.0.5/tor-browser-linux64-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz

or for 32bits version

wget https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/12.0.5/tor-browser-linux32-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz
tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux64-10.5.4_ALL.tar.xz

for 64bits

tar -xvJf tor-browser-linux32-12.0.5_ALL.tar.xz

for 32 bits

cd tor-browser_ALL

install the Tor Browser  and Tor browser icon :

./start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app

if it helps...

Thanks for the detailed reply. This all seemed to work fine until the final step, which presented this error:

oot@q4os-pc:~/tor-browser# ./start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app
Launching './Browser/start-tor-browser --detach --register-app'...
./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 28: [: : integer expression expected
./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 45: zenity: command not found
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it                     was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initiali                    zed. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen,                     vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 23: 13442 Aborted                 kdialog --ti                    tle "$complain_dialog_title" --error "$complain_message"
root@q4os-pc:~/tor-browser# ./start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app
Launching './Browser/start-tor-browser --detach --register-app'...
./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 28: [: : integer expression expected
./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 45: zenity: command not found
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

./Browser/start-tor-browser: line 23: 13458 Aborted                 kdialog --title "$complain_dialog_title" --error "$complain_message"

Also, I assume the program has now been installed, but I have no way of launching it (Synaptic added a searchable icon to the menu). Any tips?

I should add, I previously tried installing from the tar.gz file and the start-torbrowser file didn't work there either (something about the file being malformatted), so I suspect something similar is happening here which is why I'd love a working repository Synaptic can use just to take care of everything! I'm sure TB must still exist in some Debian repository?

Last edited by bretsim (2023-04-25 09:16)

#7 2023-04-25 10:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Did you check this one ? https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser . As Q4OS is Debian based, you can just act the Debian way.

#8 2023-04-30 02:06

bretsim

q4osteam wrote:

Did you check this one ? https://wiki.debian.org/TorBrowser . As Q4OS is Debian based, you can just act the Debian way.

Which version of Debian? There are two sets of instructions on that link.

Is it saying to add a backports repo and then install via Synaptic?

The crazy thing is, I have already installed TB on this system twice, but there is no way to run it as the Desktop file never works.

Oh, for a simple .exe file to click!

Last edited by bretsim (2023-04-30 02:10)

#9 2023-04-30 10:57

bretsim

Through some combination of changing the priority of repositories and search terms I finally managed to get TBLauncher to appear in Synaptc, and I think it is now installed with the expected launch icons etc!

#10 2023-04-30 14:12

bretsim

bretsim wrote:

Through some combination of changing the priority of repositories and search terms I finally managed to get TBLauncher to appear in Synaptc, and I think it is now installed with the expected launch icons etc!

Spoke too soon. The launcher is there, but the browser still needs to install for the first time, and it fails every time with a 404 error. Running it from the Terminal gives lots of qt errors.

It appears the version of the launcher in the debian repositories is obsolete, so I'm back to square one. I'm starting to really dislike Linux...

#11 2023-04-30 15:29

fred

I think you should remove and uninstall the previous versions of Torbrowser, and do a clean install from TBLauncher to see if a 404 error still occurs.

There must be a conflict with the different versions downloaded and installed

#12 2023-04-30 17:30

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

bretsim wrote:

... it fails every time with a 404 error. Running it from the Terminal gives lots of qt errors.

Debian bug, likely this one https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … ug=1025765

Board footer