You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-12 15:32

Masuuni

Browsers not showing pages

Hi,

I'm trying to give new life for an very old pc. After testing couple of "lightweight" 32-bit linux distros, I found Q4OS to be onlyone that runs smoothly with this old hardware. Thanks to the team for the great job!

But I still have some problems. Usually I like to use firefox, but in this case it feels a littlebit too heavy (It works, it is just slow). So I deside to try some lighter browsers. So far I have test Falkon and Midori. Same problem with both: I can not see anything on the web page.
Falkon window is compleatly just black. With Midori there is toolbars shown but the actual web page is all lightgrey. When moving a mouse on the pages the cursor is changing and links adresses are shown... in other words the actual page is there, it just wont display. Because both browsers are acting same way I assume that problem is same and that it comes from outside the applications themselves. Where should I start the troubleshootting?

I'm quite new with linux so I do not understand it very deeply and it would be nice to have some help.

About the hardware:
Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
RAM 1 GB
NVIDIA NV11 GeForce2 MX/MX 400

(Konqueror also works and is light, but have its limitations.)

#2 2023-01-12 15:37

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Browsers not showing pages

We would recommend you to install Palemoon from the Q4OS software center, and post back the result.

#3 2023-01-15 11:33

Masuuni

Thanks for the tip. I have now played with Palemoon a while and it works ok. In most cases it is faster than Firefox. Of course not as fast as it could be with modern hardware. For example any video content on a site will make the experience really stiffy. But with this old machine I think this is best I can get. So just not youtube with this one :-)

Do you have any idea what cause that display error with those other browsers? It would be good to solve, if it is something that can happen with other applications too.

#4 2023-01-15 12:35

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

The rendering issues are likely connected to video drivers. Post the output of command:
$ inxi -F

You could also Firefox ESR give a try:
$ sudo apt install firefox-esr

Board footer