You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-05 14:53

nordstern

Desktop-Profiler deleted my profile

I had a nice Plasma desktop installed.
Then I tried to install a second desktop, Trinity , because I intended to test it.

The Desktop-Profiler will install a second desktop, completely independent from the first one. That is what I read in the description.
But when I installed Trinity as second option, my profile from Plasma was overwritten and all my added programs were deleted.

Now I have to spend a few hours, installing everything again.

Why did this happen ?
How do I prevent it ?

My intention is simply to install a second desktop which I can choose, which will not destroy my profile from my plasma-desktop.

#2 2022-11-05 14:58

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Desktop-Profiler deleted my profile

You need to save and apply your own custom profile, or just untick "Remove superfluous packages" checkbox at main Desktop profiler window, please read Desktop profiler manual https://www.q4os.org/dqa016.html

In order to apply a Profile properly, Desktop profiler would like to uninstall all the packages that don't match the selected Profile. So there is an option available to decide, whether let Desktop profiler to remove such superfluous packages, or keep them all untouched and installed safely. Keep in mind, if you let the checkbox "Remove superfluous packages" marked on, a bunch of packages that don't belong to the selected Profile will be removed. On the contrary, if you uncheck this checkbox, Desktop profiler safely installs the selected Profile, but doesn't uninstall any packages, even if they don't match the Profile selected.

#3 2022-11-05 15:01

nordstern

Thank you for your help.
I understand that I did not uncheck the option to delete superfluous programs. My fault, now I have to pay the price for it.

Just tried to install thunderbird again from the Software Centre.
Installation stalls at 19%.
It says:  "Herunterladen abgeschlossen; Nur-Herunterladen-Modus aktiv".
Since I am german, I understand the message.

How can I change the "only downloading-mode" to "download and install-mode" ?

Last edited by nordstern (2022-11-05 15:07)

#4 2022-11-05 15:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

That looks like a temporary Internet connection issue. Reboot, check Internet connection and try to install Thunderbird again.

Last edited by q4osteam (2022-11-05 15:08)

#5 2022-11-05 15:17

nordstern

Thank you again.
It was a temporary problem. I restarted the Software Centre and was able to install thunderbird, VLC and other packages.

I like the speed of the installation with the Software Centre.

Board footer