You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-09 01:27

julian

Q4OS on an Asus Transformer T200TA

Hello Everybody:

I recently acquired an old Asus Transformer from a thrift shop for CAD $20.  It originally had an old version of windows on it.  I wanted to put Linux on it instead, and was casting about for the best version....and I already had Q4OS on another machine, and rather liked its small size, and fast speed and overall ease of use.  At first I had no idea what I was doing; the shop that sold it had no idea what it was, and did not even know it was a "transformer" instead of a laptop...a tablet with an attached keyboard containing a spare 500 GB hard drive.  I too didn't figure it out at first, and tried to install the OS to the keyboard HD instead of the main tablet's Flash Drive.  The install failed, and I eventually figured out I had to install the OS to the main Flash Drive on the Tablet, not the bottom keyboard.  Stupid of me!

Anyway I finally got Q4OS installed to the Tablet (and transformer) and I got almost everything working except the wifi and the camera.  I tried rolling a lot of wifi drivers under WINE but nothing worked.  Finally, I did a trivial upgrade of the OS:  Q4OS 4.10 i386 32 bit R1 I replaced with Q4OS 4.10 i386 32 bit R2...and the wifi worked right out of the box.  Apparently that R2 upgrade had the driver I needed.  I installed Kvkbd so I would have a virtual keyboard when I detached the tablet from its keyboard base...it seems to work fine.

So: the last thing I gotta get going is the webcam.  Any ideas?  The standard Linux programs like Cheese install, but do not recognize, the cameras.  The transformer like a tablet has a front and back facing camera.   But i cannot get any camera driver, under WINE or otherwise, to "see" the webcam.  Has anyone out there had any success installing Q4OS to a transformer tablet?  Please give us the benefit of your expertise, and help us finish installing Q4OS on this machine.  Thank You!

Q4OS is a great OS, it is smooth and fast, and works fine on this older hardware.  I'm glad to have found it, and this forum.  Cheers!

Julian

#2 2022-10-09 06:46

bin

Re: Q4OS on an Asus Transformer T200TA

Well done for getting so far. The webcam should be a device incorporating "Intel Imaging-Signal-Processor 2400"

The best idea I can come up with so far is to enable the contrib non-free repositories and then install the non-free firmware package.

You can do this in Synaptic>Settings>Repositories
Locate the Debian entry then add 'contrib non-free' to the Sections line which probably just says 'main' at the moment.

Installing the backports kernel may help - not sure if this is available on the 32bit systems

sudo qinst-kernel-bpo

Another possibility is that the firmware driving the camera switch has left it in an OFF state. I've had this with older HP laptops that use a combined bluetooth/wifi chip where pressing the switch switched it off permanently until you went back and reset the BIOS to defaults - which may be an idea as well.

Not saying it will work under WINE but this looks to be a promising info source https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Tablets-a … -p/6523361

#3 2022-10-10 03:24

julian

Hello bin:

Thanks for reading and replying.  I already had the contrib-non-free enabled in Synaptic.  I did the backport thing but unfortunately it did not solve the webcam problem.  But thank you for suggesting it.  I believe the webcam and sound drivers may be related because when I installed the backports I lost the sound on the transformer...and there was no way to get it back.  The webcam still would not work, so I used Timeshift to get back to where I used to be, and got the Sound back.  But the webcam still is not recognized.  I will keep trying and see if I can find another solution.  But thanks for the suggestion!

Julian

#4 2022-10-10 03:58

julian

Ok I tried the link but as you suspected it won't run in WINE.  I will try some other versions and see if any of them work.  Thanks again!

Board footer