You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-29 17:01

Lars

Application launcher doesn't show installed apps

This is a fresh Plasma Basic install, the apps are for example regular Google Chrome and Discover.

I am only talking about additional user-installed apps via software center or Discover, the apps installed by the distro install are all visibile and work. The new apps can be started via the terminal without problem.

Is there any way to reset the launcher and make the apps appear? I tried the alternatives under "show alternatives", but they don't take the apps either into their list. In a VM on another system it works. Do I have to reinstall?

Last edited by Lars (2022-07-29 17:15)

#2 2022-07-29 17:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Application launcher doesn't show installed apps

Have you reboot the system ?

#3 2022-07-29 17:07

Lars

Lars wrote:

This is a fresh install, the apps are for example regular Google Chrome and Discover.

Is there any way to reset the launcher and make the apps appear? I tried the alternatives under "show alternatives", but they don't take the apps either into their list. In a VM on another system it works. Do I have to reinstall?

I forgot to mention this is the Plasma Basic Install.

#4 2022-07-29 17:08

Lars

q4osteam wrote:

Have you reboot the system ?

Yes I did, multiple times and also shut it down.

I am only talking about additional user-installed apps via software center/Discover, the apps installed by the distro install are all visibile and work. The new apps can be started via the terminal without problem.

Last edited by Lars (2022-07-29 17:15)

#5 2022-07-29 17:27

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Lars wrote:

I am only talking about additional user-installed apps via software center/Discover ..

The new installed applications should create an entry in main menu as well, so it looks like your menu structure is corrupted in some way. Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce and thus investigate this issue. You could try to create a new testing user and check the menu within that account. If it works properly, the issue comes from user configuration, so you could try to reset your user account configuration.

#6 2022-07-29 17:55

Lars

q4osteam wrote:
Lars wrote:

I am only talking about additional user-installed apps via software center/Discover ..

The new installed applications should create an entry in main menu as well, so it looks like your menu structure is corrupted in some way. Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce and thus investigate this issue. You could try to create a new testing user and check the menu within that account. If it works properly, the issue comes from user configuration, so you could try to reset your user account configuration.

As it happens, logging in as another user and back solved the issue already. How would I reset the user account configuration though, if it was ever necessary?

#7 2022-07-29 19:57

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Lars wrote:

How would I reset the user account configuration though, if it was ever necessary?

It is not one shot simple action. You would have to backup/remove chosen files from $HOME/ directory manually. You would have to know what you are doing.

#8 2022-07-30 06:00

bin

Which launcher are you using? It may be worth just switching to a different one and seeing if the apps appear correctly. (Right click the launcher>alternatives.)

Board footer