You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-28 13:10

cpcnw
Website

First time user feedback

Hi all,

As a long time Linux tinkerer and distro surfer I have tried out many distros ranging from the lightweights like TinyCore, Slitaz and Puppy to full blown desktop installs like Ubunutu. I have also tried some of the DIY distro's like Arch and built up a system from scratch and tailored it to my liking. As well as Linux distros I have used some of the BSD's and other more esoteric systems like Plan9.

I must of spent 100's hours of my life hacking away on OS's however these days I have much less time so that is a big consideration for me when it comes to making a choice on which distro to use as well as in recommending a distro to others.

So it was a nice surprise when it came to downloading and installing Q4OS smile

First up; even lightweight distro's are putting on weight these days so to find pretty much a 'full desktop' type distro [not just a base only] in less than 300MB is very welcomed. And I think this says something about the development goals of Q4OS - it helps focus on what is an important issue in my opinion and I would like to see DistroWatch include the .iso size of each distro as well as the ability to sort on size.

Of course it doesn't neccy follow that a small .iso ends up in a small / fast system however Q4OS seems to have achieved what I thought was becoming more difficult to find - a full desktop install in less than 300MB is pretty rare and the devs should be commended. Maybe this could be a target to aim for i.e. we will keep the basic install .iso below 350MB say?

Secondly, I found Q4OS very easy to install and barely had to read through any docs etc at all - I know some people will argue about dumbing down and taking decision making / power away from the user but this is a reflection of my comment above - installation time was fast and made low demands on my knowledge / time - which I think is the way it should be i.e. get the basics installed quickly and easily then do any tweaking afterwards (for the first time in ages I have had my graphics card / resolution, printer, scanner, sound card etc setup and working correctly right off the bat!)

Thirdly I was surprised at how quick the installed system responds even on my Atom board with 4GB RAM its amazingly quick.

Fourthly I think that the balance of ease of use and flexibility is just right. Getting people up and running quickly yet providing packages and tools to install further software in an simple straight forward manner is the way to go. Its very nice to be able to get Filezilla, Putty, TeamViewer and Chrome all installed with ease a few clicks away!

Obviously you are aware that people have been describing Q4OS as a good replacement for machines previously running XP essentially 'converting' peoples machines to Linux. I have to say that this distro is the closest [very close] I have ever found to a good crossover distro for the average Winblows user.

Personally I have always liked the 'classic desktop' [since W2K] and still use W7 to do some remote Windows admin. So with the themes add on I was right at home with the classic look that I think others will appreciate also. But better than that in providing an easy migration for total n00bs or those giving old machines a new lease of life [for charities etc]

Overall its been a great experience and will be a 'keeper distro' for me for the foreseeable future!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#2 2016-02-28 21:48

cpcnw
Website

Re: First time user feedback

> Full desktop install is probably another 700mb so in fact youre using a 300mb
> install disk and downloading during install the rest of the apps depending on which
> profile you pick.

OK, I think you know what I meant - that the 300MB iso gets you a fully booting system with pretty good hardware support and a DE and that these days that's pretty small compared some of the other so called lightweight distro's weighing in at over 650mb iso

I got to a point a while ago that I wouldn't review anything above a CD install in size smile)

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.

#3 2016-03-01 18:49

cpcnw
Website

> one of the best lightweight distros Ive ever used

A few days in; I have burnt some .iso's, done some email, done some remote support via Teamviewer, done some scanning, done my ebay sales all without a problem and nice and quick... so, yeah, I agree its shaping up to be a great little distro this - spread the word smile

Last edited by cpcnw (2016-03-01 18:49)

#4 2016-03-02 05:41

bobby
Website

I found my Linux Distro for Life !  Q4OS is awesome, I am now even running my favorite "must have" older Windows programs using Wine. Kompozer and FileGuard File/Folder Encryption tool.

No Longer Using Q4OS

Board footer