You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-28 12:26

Jerome

Problem with kchart

I would like to create some simple barcharts so downloaded kchart-trinity from synaptic, but when I click on "Use This Template" on the right-hand side I get this error:

Could not open
Reason: Not a valid KOffice file: /opt/trinity/share/apps/kchart/templates/chart/.source/Empty.chrt

Any suggestions?

P.S. I don't want to install the whole of koffice, and I don't think it's necessary because according to the documentation kchart can be used as a standalone application.

Also I found this bug report which is marked as fixed?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78168

Last edited by Jerome (2016-02-28 12:38)

#2 2016-02-29 11:41

Jerome

Re: Problem with kchart

Thanks crosscourt for the suggestions. Kchart is supposedly a standalone application and I assume that any dependencies would be installed along with it, but I'll take your advice and contact the folks at trinitydesktop.org.

#3 2016-03-02 15:39

Jerome

I submitted a bug report at trinitydesktop.org about the error message in kchart, then I decided to download kspread, the trinity spreadsheet application. Well darned if the same thing didn't happen again when trying to open a kspread file. I can open a text or .csv file ok, but not one saved as a kspread file. Furthermore, even when I save the spreadsheet in the alternative openoffice spreadsheet format I still can't open it. It seems to be the same bug that was reportedly fixed 12 years ago!

This is very annoying. I know there are other spreadsheet programs like Gnumeric but that's not the point.

P.S. I have just tried the same thing with diagramming/flowcharting application Kivio, which is also a component of koffice. Same problem there; when I save a file and try to re-open it with Kivio I get an error message "Not a valid Koffice file".

This sucks big time.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Last edited by Jerome (2016-03-02 15:43)

#4 2016-03-02 19:47

Jerome

I can understand why they aren't popular based on my experience so far. ;-)

It's no big deal really, I've installed gnumeric which is better than kspread in that it has more features, but is still fairly lightweight, and Dia which is the gtk equivalent of Kivio.

Obviously the q4os team can't be responsible for bugs in applications, and it certainly hasn't put me off the distro, which is awesome, but I wonder why they chose Trinity as the default desktop environment? There are other lightweight alternatives such as Xfce.

I wonder if they're planning to keep Trinity for version 2.0?

#5 2016-03-02 23:16

Rademes

Jerome wrote:

Obviously the q4os team can't be responsible for bugs in applications, and it certainly hasn't put me off the distro, which is awesome, but I wonder why they chose Trinity as the default desktop environment?

Yes, I wonder too, why developers have chosen so BUGGY and poorly supported desktop environment. In fact, Trinity is the reason, why I stopped using Q4OS... It makes Q4OS more difficult for novice users, who simply afraid of terminal usage, configuration file modification and even majority of features, some of them, for example Konqueror Web browser are useless, but contain bugs. TDE is only suitable for those, who want deeply learn Linux...and report bugs frequently...

crosscourt wrote:

Both Mate and TDE have grown in popularity because fo their simple classic interfaces.

I agree about Mate and totally disagree about TDE. Please provide proofs, that TDE is becoming popular. I simply could not found them... Instead, I have found, that according to DistroWatch only two distributions are using TDE as main desktop environment. Why so? I don`t think that developers are stupid or dosen`t know about its existence. I am sure, they have important reasons NOT to make TDE as default environment.
TDE is not even included in available desktop environments for Debian!!! And you say it is popular...

Last edited by Rademes (2016-03-02 23:23)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#6 2016-03-03 14:41

Rademes

There is no need to start new topic. You have your opinion, and I have mine. I will continue using Q4OS for myself, but I will think hard before installing it to another people computers.

crosscourt wrote:

Jerome in this thread has stated he likes Q4OS regardless of the app issue.

I like Q4OS too It is very good OS, but I don`t like Trinity for now...
Hope, that Q4OS developers will not be angry on me for my posts.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#7 2016-03-06 14:24

Jerome

Quick update on this. I heard from one of the developers at trinitydesktop.org and apparently this bug has already been reported:

http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net/show_bug.cgi?id=2562

Fixed in R14.0.3.

Board footer