You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-01 20:01

Midas

Minor yet nagging error at shutdown

I am running Q4OS-TDE as detailed at https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3909.

Everything appears to be working fine, except that shutdown takes a long time and I get an error at the very end:

[ OK ] Reached target Reboot.
[ 257.834314 ] watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
[ 257.998378 ] systemd-shutdown[1]: Could not detach DM /dev/dm.0: Device or resource busy
[ 258.014207 ] systemd-shutdown[1]: Failed to finalize DM devices, ignoring.
[ 258.534236 ] reboot: Restarting system

While trying to figure it out, I inquired at dmesg with dmesg | grep -i error and got a possibly related error:

[ 4.636979 ] EXT4-fs (dm-1): re-mounted. Opts: errors-remount-ro

After some googling, I found the following thread at the Debian Reddit but no ready solution:

The system will eventually reboot/shutdown, it just takes a lot longer. Plus, it doesn't seem to affect Mint 20.2 setup in the same manner. Should I be worried and can I fix this?

#2 2022-06-28 17:26

Midas

Re: Minor yet nagging error at shutdown

A little info tidbit: I'm still facing this annoying issue, both in Q4OS and Mint and while searching for solutions, I found out it may (or not?) be related to something already reported at Stack Exchange: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/61144/.

Apparently, Buddy Linux was able to solve this by migrating from initramfs tools to dracut, which isn't a solution here.

#3 2022-06-29 06:53

bin

In a nutshell you are using a host PC and virtualbox with the storage for the VM on an external device.
After you shut down the OS on the guest VM does the device reappear on the host machine?
You're not talking about shutting down the host while the guest is still running are you???

#4 2022-06-29 13:03

Midas

bin wrote:

In a nutshell you are using a host PC and virtualbox with the storage for the VM on an external device.

While the virtual disk was created under Virtual Box, it doesn't run anymore -- the system is booted by Ventoy, which uses Grub to launch it, if I'm not mistaken...

I posted a tutorial a while back on how to achieve this: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3909.

bin wrote:

After you shut down the OS on the guest VM does the device reappear on the host machine?
You're not talking about shutting down the host while the guest is still running are you???

Your assumptions here are invalid, there is no host or guest VM, only Mint or Q4OS running from a virtual disk.

Please, tell me if I can provide any further info.

#5 2022-06-30 06:22

bin

OK - got it.

From what you say the VM is on external media rather than the system drive.

So my initial thought still holds good in a different way.

Perhaps it would be worth copying the VM to your system drive and seeing what happens and if there is any change in behaviour?

#6 2022-07-01 13:16

Midas

bin wrote:

From what you say the VM is on external media rather than the system drive.

So sorry for not making myself more clear: this isn't the case either.

All virtual disks reside on the main disk -- a NVMe SSD in the machine at hand -- and get booted from there. I had to create an extra partition because, contrary to Windows, Linux will prevent direct access to this drive after booting its loop device.

Apart from this, everything else works fine, software installation, updates, maintenance and all; at least I can find no errors in  system logs.

All in all, this greatly simplifies my system administration chores -- whenever anything fails structurally, all I have to do is copy back a working virtual disk over.

Board footer