You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-29 17:18

endre

Sound balance

Hi,
I connected my pc through the line out (jack 3.6) to an amplifier. But it looks like that it only sends a mono signal to only one side. I am not sure if this is a hardware or a software issue sinc this is an old computer and it could be that the port has broken during the years while it was sitting unused. Are there any possibilities to fix it? Maybe to use the line in or the mic in jacks to send the sound signals to the amplifier?
Thanks

#2 2022-01-09 01:47

joey_linux

Re: Sound balance

Hi endre,

I had a similar problem with my computer and speakers. Here's how I fixed it.

1) install Pulse Audio by typing "sudo apt install pulseaudio" in your terminal with out the quote marks. Do not uninstall KMix (I find that they work good together)
2) open Pulse Audio
3) click on Output Device tab (see attached pic for the next steps)
4) click on the lock icon to unlock the left and right channel
5)  adjust level of channel that is at 0% and bring it up to the level of the other channel
6) click on lock again to lock both channels at the same levels
done

Attachments:
png pulse_audio_fix_q4os.png, Size: 23.39 KiB, Downloads: 216

#3 2022-01-09 18:49

endre

Thanks for helping!
It turned out that It has been installed already. (maybe the os intaller did it)
I am not sure if that supposed to be an app itself but I can only see pulse audio as an optional driver in KMix, and it looks a lot different than yours. Actually It is just a simple volume and a balance slider (wich doesn't do anything at all). I reinstalled it, but nothing changed. I am a bit worried that its because the sound card is not compatible with it. Or maybe it didn't work together with KMix pn this computer. (I wasn't brave enought to uninstall that)
Some extra informations of the computer:
old hp compaq d530 (pentium 4 32bit, 1 gig of ram) - Q4OS trinity (32bit)

#4 2022-01-15 04:28

joey_linux

Your Welcome

Ok, good to know that its a 32-bit machine. If it was a compatible or driver issues, I don't think you would hear anything. Your hearing something, sounds more like a config issue. Pulse Audio is both a sound channel and an app. Though the sound channel will work with 32 bit and 64 bit systems, but the app can only run on 64 bit systems. That's why your not seeing the app (unfortunately the linux community removed a lot of the 32 bit apps when Ubuntu stopped supporting 32 bit, sad  thank god for Q4OS). The volume controller app I sent a picture of was the Pulse Audio App. The "simple volume and a balance slider" is Kmix, or at least the Kmix app. Though if the Kmix sliders are doing "nothing", then there is a good chance that your on the wrong mixer channel. Under the "current mixer" settings check the different mixer channels and see what the sliders are at (see attached pic, I have 3, pulseaudio, HDA intel and HDA ATI HDMI, your system will be different). There is a good chance that one of the L/R sliders are set to only the left or right.

Attachments:
png kmix_mixer_setting.png, Size: 14.78 KiB, Downloads: 205

Board footer