You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-29 13:24

bin

KDE Gemini Konsole profiles issue

Gemini 4.17 up to date - KDE/Plasma in QemuKVM

Change preferences in Konsole by Settings>Edit Current Profile.
The edit current profile dialogue doesn't show the current profile name.
Attempting to edit 'current profile' - for example change opening terminal size - results being asked to save as a new profile ad nauseam.

Works fine in other Debian based KDE distros so seems to be limited to Q4OS. Thought it may be to do with 2 konsolerc files in different locations but .....?

Last edited by bin (2021-12-29 13:47)

#2 2021-12-29 15:13

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: KDE Gemini Konsole profiles issue

As Q4OS makes use of "XDG_CONFIG_HOME" variable, we would guess, that's the culprit.

Please run from a terminal:
$ unset XDG_CONFIG_HOME
$ konsole
check the settings and post back.

#3 2021-12-30 07:08

bin

Thank you.

Ran commands as advised.

1. Delete all konsole config rc and xml files in my home
2. Run konsole
3. Settings>Edit current profile>Appearance>Change colours to Linux Colours>Apply

The window title bar changes from Edit Profile "Default" to Edit Profile "Profile 1"

Settings>Manage Profiles now just shows one profile - Profile 1 (Default) - and subsequent changes are all actioned correctly

However, there is an extra twist to this issue which may have meant the above was redundant.

I realise now that all this came to light when I was opening konsole from within Dolphin.

1. Open Dolphin
2. Right Click>Open Terminal Here>Settings>Edit Current Profile

The window title bar shows Edit Profile "" and any changes then demand a new profile name.

Open System Settings>Applications>Terminal - Set to uxterm>Apply and reboot for good measure
Open Dolphin and Open Terminal Here>Konsole opens - surely that should be uxterm?

Whether the above represents a bug or just part of life's rich pattern I have no idea - bu the takeaway is to not try to edit profiles for konsole when opened through right click in Dolphin - or Shift f4.

What should the XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable be set to so I can revert that change to be sure please?

UPDATE:-
I've done some further digging this morning. Using KDE NEON the profiles work slightly differently. On an installed system the Default konsole profile is shown as Read Only. After konsole is launched, if you go to Settings you have to create a new profile (Profile1). Once that's done you can set that as the new Default and mess around as required. This works no matter how you launch konsole. NEON uses Plasma 5.23.x which may have made a difference. I tried with FerenOS which runs 5.22 and that still had the issue described above. It is nothing to do with Dolphin as Feren uses Nemo file manager.

Last edited by bin (2021-12-30 13:00)

#4 2021-12-30 18:04

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We are not able to reproduce the issue at all, as described by the OP.
Steps:
- Open konsole from start menu
- Main menu > Settings > Edit current profile
- Modify "Initial terminal size" > "rows" value from 28 to 29
- Confirm changes and close the konsole
- Open konsole from start menu
- Check settings, everything looks correct.
Please post some modifications to these steps for us to be able to reproduce.

bin wrote:

What should the XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable be set to so I can revert that change to be sure please?

XDG_CONFIG_HOME = "$HOME/.configkde"

Thanks for detailed and helpful reporting.

#5 2021-12-31 07:00

bin

Thanks for the config info.

As I mentioned in #3

However, there is an extra twist to this issue which may have meant the above was redundant.

I realise now that all this came to light when I was opening konsole from within Dolphin.

1. Open Dolphin
2. Right Click>Open Terminal Here>Settings>Edit Current Profile

The window title bar shows Edit Profile "" and any changes then demand a new profile name.

Likewise it is not just Q4OS that displays this issue as mentioned in my update to #3 and may be a general bug that seems to be fixed in plasma 5.23 though I have not yet tried to update to 5.23 via Norbert Preining's OBS repo.

Board footer