You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-13 01:04

JSM
Banned

Help with Konqueror browser

Hi

Someone knows a good help page for Konqueror browser? The official one is not usefull for me. I need to know such simple things like:

How to install a plugin, for example "page translate"

How to show the bookmarks bar

etc.

And there are many problems with some websites, that are not showed correctly. A graphical problem?

I am just using Konqueror, if my standard browser Opera has a problem with some websites and let them crash. But I would like to test Konqueror a bit more. Maybe it is not so bad as people say?

thank you!

#2 2021-12-14 04:48

tlmiller76

Re: Help with Konqueror browser

Are you using Q4OS TDE or KDE?  The difference in Konqueror versions may make the answers slightly different.  Also, Konqueror was never really a GREAT browser, it was a better file manager than browser even when it was modern, and it's not been modern in a very long time.  Not that it can't be used, but it doesn't support a lot of stuff that more modern browsers do.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#3 2021-12-15 02:26

JSM
Banned

Thank you. I only use it when I have problems with Opera and a website. So in an emergency. In this way I don't have to install another "big" browser and always receive the updates.

In the meantime I have found three "plugins" in synaptic:

konq-plugins
konq-plugins-trinity
kmplayer-konq-plugins-trinity

If you install the packages, it already looks a bit better smile However, I still have the problem with the graphic display of some websites (menus are not displayed correctly, photos are displayed twice, etc.) But there are not many websites with this problem. Q4OS is displayed absolutely correctly, for example.

Other than that, the browser works pretty well and pretty quickly. Not so bad as a "stopgap measure". I am fine with it smile

Edit:

I am working with Trinity

Last edited by JSM (2021-12-15 02:28)

#4 2021-12-17 04:20

tlmiller76

The websites are probably due to the rendering engine that Konqueror uses.  It defaults to khtml (which hasn't been updated since the early teens I wanna say?), which supports very few javascript features.  So any site that makes extensive use of javascript will probably not work 100% on it.  It CAN be made to work with WebKit or the WebEngine (Chromium) engine for much improved compatibility, but this is where the TDE version is lacking.  It only supports KHTML by deafult, and I don't know if it support WebKit or WebEngine at all.  The KDE version if you have the pacakge konq-plugins installed then DEFAULTS to the WebEngine, so should have MASSIVELY better compatibility than the older TDE version.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2021-12-17 04:23)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

Board footer