You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-24 11:19

Alain

screen with white stripes during debian startup

hello

I installed Q4os 4.7 Gemini, Trinity , on an old dell Inspiron 1501 , AMD 64x2 mobile 797 Mhz with 896Mo of Ram .
The video card is an AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200.

When I start, the bios then grub starts perfectly. (I can see the information perfectly on the screen.)
But around the middle of Debian's launch, the screen changes from black to very light with two or three vertical white stripes.
However debian continues to load! Only the screen remains unreadable.

If I lower the screen of the laptop (standby) and open the screen again is perfectly readable on the login home page.
I checked the driver everything is OK. Besides, the PC works very well after this start, no display problem.

I only have the problem at boot time in the middle of Debian booting!
Does this sound like a problem with the screen resolution on startup?
Where should we modify? Has anyone had this problem?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Alain

#2 2021-11-24 18:15

Clint Burtwood

Re: screen with white stripes during debian startup

Same thing on an old Acer TravelMate 8100. Happens at random. Took a while to realize shutting the lid and opening it again solves the problem, much better than my other method which included swearing and physically assaulting the poor laptop. Still, weird problem.. That and a crackling sound it makes smile This is a fun little retroproject, just to keep old hardware alive. But I admit, the crackling sound and the screen funkiness are testing my patience so this old hardware is actually going to the garbage bin very soon. Q4OS was this laptops last chance.

#3 2021-11-29 14:51

Alain

Re: screen with white stripes during debian startup

Hi

I solved this problem with in Grub:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=4
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0 loglevel=3 systemd.log_color=0 systemd.show_status=1"
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x800

Now everything is fine and Q4os TDE works very well!
Best regards

Alain

Board footer