You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-13 16:20

medianjoe

No Wine64

When I try to run a 64bit app in Wine I get the error : "64-bit application not supported in 32-bit prefix".

I installed Wine using the software Centre and assumed that the 64bit version of Wine would be installed, but apparently it wasn't.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. I'm using Gemini.

Last edited by medianjoe (2021-11-13 16:31)

#2 2021-11-14 07:03

bin

Re: No Wine64

sudo apt search wine64 will show if it is installed

If you want to run a 64 bit windows app then you need a 64 bit machine

So, you need to create a 64 bit prefix

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/home/yourusername/.prefixname winecfg

WINEPREFIX=/home/yourusername/.prefixname wine "/home/yourusername/path to application setup.exe"

#3 2021-11-14 11:59

medianjoe

Thanks bin, wine64 was already installed, so I followed your instructions and my application ran ok. However, I have a couple of queries. Do I need to run the 2nd command every time I want to run a 64 bit application? It seems a bit long-winded. Also, I created a prefix named "wine64", which I see contains a folder called "Program Files (x86)", which I assume is for 32 bit apps. So I'm wondering why when I initially installed wine the default setup wasn't 64 bit in the first place? Why was the default prefix for 32 bit applications when I'm using a 64 bit machine? And if I install further 32 apps, will they go in the .wine prefix or the .wine64 prefix inside the x86 folder?

#4 2021-11-15 07:15

bin

OK - what I don't know is what program you are trying to run. Sounds like it may be a game binary? Normally under windows you would have run a setup and then been provided with a menu entry and or desktop icon to launch the program. So, a bit more info would be useful here.

The rules for wine are the same as for windows. A 64 bit machine with a 64bit fresh windows install will have the same x86 folder structure. The reason for this is of course that someone with a 64 bit machine/install will still be able to install 32 bit stuff - and I'm pretty sure that a 64 bit windows still has 32 bit components anyway smile

The default install for wine using the command 'sudo apt install wine' pulls in both versions - which is handy as a whole bunch of 32 bit stuff is needed - especially 'drivers'. Somewhere in that process it sets the WINEARCH environment variable to 32  bit. Yes you can install wine64 on its own but you'll quickly find it can be troublesome.

I create a new prefix for each program rather than piling everything into one. That way dealing with breakages, install failures etc etc is as simple as deleting the prefix. OK it can leave the menu structure a little messy but - meh!

#5 2021-11-15 15:41

medianjoe

bin wrote:

OK - what I don't know is what program you are trying to run. Sounds like it may be a game binary? Normally under windows you would have run a setup and then been provided with a menu entry and or desktop icon to launch the program. So, a bit more info would be useful here.

It's not a setup.exe but a cross-platform GUI toolkit for the C programming language. A folder is included containing about 20 pre-compiled demo programs which are  64bit windows binaries.

I haven't had any luck yet trying to find a suitable C compiler which will install, and I don't have a Windows licence so I'm stuck with using Wine. But that's a separate issue.

Anyway, thanks again.

#6 2021-11-16 07:25

bin

OK - but you can create a desktop launcher for a WINE prog if you wish.

For example, this is for a prog I use

Command:  env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.psx" wine-stable C:\\Program\ Files\\PhotoFiltre\ Studio\ X\\pfstudiox.exe
Working Directory:  /home/user/.psx/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X

If you're just pointing to a single executable then substituting the path and content should work

Board footer