You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-11 14:23

WimH

debian package installer

I now installed the latest Gemini on my portable PC and tried to in stall a .deb package. I get a prompt for my password and the an error message saying it cannot find the kdpg-install command or so???? this worked without problems on the prvious centaurus install on the same PC.help?

#2 2021-10-11 17:07

BonusBrain

Re: debian package installer

Difficult to advise since you don’t say if this is Plasma or Trinity, 32 or 64 bit or give any details about the .deb package you were trying to install. Maybe it’s a dependency issue. Try installing Synaptic if you don’t have it already. If the package you want isn’t listed there install ‘gdebi’ and then use that ('gdebi-gtk' to launch it from a terminal) to install your downloaded .deb. If any dependencies are missing gdebi will list these when you try to install.

#3 2021-10-11 20:41

WimH

trinity/64 bit. It has something to do with permissions I think, I was able to install some .deb packages from the command line in terminal. I just wonder what use the Debian installer is if not working anyway...Do I need to put the .deb packages in a specific directory? One example is microsoft edge beta. Was not in Synaptic until after the command line install. Adding downloaded packages to synaptic does not work either  , they are greyed out...

#4 2021-10-11 21:03

Tolkem

WimH wrote:

trinity/64 bit. It has something to do with permissions I think, I was able to install some .deb packages from the command line in terminal. I just wonder what use the Debian installer is if not working anyway...Do I need to put the .deb packages in a specific directory? One example is microsoft edge beta. Was not in Synaptic until after the command line install. Adding downloaded packages to synaptic does not work either  , they are greyed out...

The .deb packages need to be in the same directory you're running the command from konsole, i.e. /home. So, say Microsoft Edge beta is in /home/username/Downloads, then in konsole you need to "cd" into that directory

cd /home/username/Downloads

and then list the .deb pkgs that might be there

ls *.deb

select and copy the one you want to install, for example microsoft-edge-beta_95.0.1020.14-1_amd64.deb, in konsole type

sudo apt install ./

and paste the pkg's name you just copied right after ./, hit Enter so it looks like

sudo apt install ./microsoft-edge-beta_95.0.1020.14-1_amd64.deb

Type your password when asked, and hit Enter again. Now, just wait for the process to be finished. If you get any errors about missing dependencies or any other error preventing you from installing the pkg, then I suggest you find an alternative, packages should be easy to install, and if they're giving too much trouble, I think to dismiss them it's the best thing one can do, and look for an alternative that's easier and less problematic.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-10-11 21:08)

#5 2021-10-11 21:24

WimH

Thanks, that is more or less the way I ended up installing all of them without problems. I just would like to know how to use the debian installer

#6 2021-10-11 21:33

WimH

just for info, after installing they are now all visible in the synaptic package manager, so updates will be easy I suppose...

#7 2021-10-12 02:34

Tolkem

WimH wrote:

Thanks, that is more or less the way I ended up installing all of them without problems. I just would like to know how to use the debian installer

What "Debian installer" are you referring to? Do you mean Q4OS software center?

#8 2021-10-12 09:44

WimH

the (Debian Package install) one under applications/programs/accessories/utilities in the TDE menu. It starts kdpkg in a terminal window

#9 2021-10-12 12:36

Tolkem

WimH wrote:

the (Debian Package install) one under applications/programs/accessories/utilities in the TDE menu. It starts kdpkg in a terminal window

Ah, I see. Sorry, I use Plasma. I do have a VM with Q4OS TDE, I'll check later about it.

#10 2021-10-13 05:57

bin

The command for the application is

su-to-root -X -c "kdpg-install %U"

which is never going to fly if your system is installed with the administrator/root password set the same as the user. That is because that process disables the root account login and so su-to-root cannot work.

This needs to be flagged as a bug with the developers.

#11 2021-10-13 07:55

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@bin
Yes, we will register a new bug, thanks.

#12 2021-10-23 23:15

CloudLion

Is there a quick way to fix this adjusting a config file or doing something outside of changing the system password?

Board footer