You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-19 07:04

goldbergeliah

Multiple Monitor Problem

I am a happy user of Q4OS operating system having it on number of PC's and Laptops for the last one year. Recently I have installed Trinity 64 bit amd version to my laptop. I am having issues with using two montitors.

Host: nurseli-pc Kernel: 4.19.0-17-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Trinity R14.0.6 Distro: Q4OS 3.15.2-n1
Dual Core: Intel Celeron N3060 type: MCP speed: 480 MHz
min/max: 480/2480 MHz
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz   OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6

Since my laptop has some brightness problems I connected it to my HP monitor (for PC). All I want to do is to disable Laptop's monitor and use only other monitor. I played and tweaked with "monitors" menu but so far I could not managed it. Although I set the PC monitor as primary, the menu panel appears on Laptop's screen. Whenever I click on somehting it pops up on laptop again. When I changed the extension settings half of the menu appears on one screen the other part on another. When I changed another settings and disable Laptops monitor this time my PC monitor has no menu on it and I could not do anything as I can not reach menu items.

When I was using "plazma" desktop it was too easy. Right in the beginning after startup a windows appeared and asked what to do with multiple monitors. With only one click I could disable Laptop's screen and have a full fledged alternative screen on PC monitor.

Maybe it is a simple job or I am stupid but definitely something is lacking with Trinity desktop with that matter.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2021-09-21 19:42

goldbergeliah

Re: Multiple Monitor Problem

Well, I created a new desktop panel from scratch by manually adding items. I realised that the network manager icon has no function. Clicking on it gives no result. I am not able to connect internet now. When I connect a phone cable a tdenetworkmanager notification pops up saying "now you are connected to wired connection" than it gets lost. What's happening? Why is networkmanager not working? How can I make it functional again?

#3 2021-09-22 12:39

goldbergeliah

As usual with no slightesat inclination for help from forum members of Q4OS, I will have to revert to Linux Mint forums to find the solution. Most probably I will re-install again. I really love Q4OS, its my favourite Linux Distro, however, nobody is perfect.

This is the main problem with any linux distro for beginners: When you play with menu or desktop a little bit, you will somehow effed up. Either menu items get lost or being invisible or disfunctional. Last time it was the reason that I deleted plazma and reinstall trinity: I played with theme a bit too much and all got crushed irreversibly.

#4 2021-09-22 14:04

bin

Hi

This is possible and it is do-able with Trinity. As I recall it takes 2 different operations.

I recall having to use the screen size and rotate applet to set the correct resolution and to pick the default monitor.

The other step involved using Control Centre>Peripherals>Display to then pick that monitor and resolution and to tell it to Apply settings on TDE startup. What that means is that if you use autologin it takes a few seconds for the login to take place and then the settings kick in and transfer it all to the chosen screen.

If you're still here give it a whirl - report back and if you're still struggling I'll dig out a laptop and give the blow by blow process.

#5 2021-09-22 20:04

goldbergeliah

Good evening, Bin!

Well, I chose the easy way out and reinstalled the system. I learned my lesson; I will not play too much with desktop/panel/theme settings again.

However, next time I blow-up the system again, I will fallow your advises. Obviously too much flexibility comes with a price!

Nice to see somebody out there to help you out.

#6 2021-09-23 06:31

bin

smile

I think over the years I have reinstalled different systems hundreds of times. The only way you get to learn is to break things and then understand what you did. Good job for sticking with it. TDE (if that's what you're staying with) is 'interesting' to work with and there's a lot you can do to theme and customise the workspace.

Trinity 14.0.10 on Gemini has a huge number of fixes and I'd suggest you go with that if you fancy starting again....again. The Q4OS team will be making it possible to update to TDE 14.0.11 which is being released in late October this year.

Board footer