You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-18 13:07

novus

Q4OS Firewall?

I have been using Linux Mint in LiveCD mode for shopping/banking over the last few years, but I am looking to replace it with another distro. I tried Debian, but it had no firewall, so that was a dealbreaker for me. What about Q4OS? Does it have a ready to go, and simple to turn on firewall like Linux Mint?

#2 2021-09-20 16:18

Cheker

Re: Q4OS Firewall?

I don't remember if GUFW/UFW comes ready out of the box but it's easily installable and enabled.

$ sudo apt install ufw gufw

$ sudo systemctl enable ufw

$ sudo systemctl start ufw

Go in the menu and look for Firewall Configuration or just run:

$ sudo gufw

The default of allowing everything out and denying everything in is sane for the average end user.

#3 2021-09-21 08:05

BonusBrain

Re: Q4OS Firewall?

The Linux kernel has a built in firewall by default but in many cases this is neither activated or configured by the distros concerned hence the availability of software such as gufw to make this operation easier for average users. That said, having an active firewall is towards the bottom end of a useful security strategy regarding online shopping and banking. How and where you connect to the internet, the security status of the sites you visit (including your bank), browser configuration, your login details and password strength are all more important than a firewall.

If you’re paranoid about this you can always use a dedicated service such as Tails.

https://tails.boum.org/

Board footer