You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-09 14:44

alanlinux

Gemini 4.5 (Plasma): External monitor via Dell D6000 dock

Hello Q4OS Forum,

I'm trying to use my Acer Swift3 (with nvidia GeForce MX350 graphics card) in "clam mode" and connect it to two external monitors.

One monitor is connected directly via the HDMI port on the laptop and it works well. The other monitor is connected via the DP port on a Dell D6000 dock, but I cannot see this monitor in the Displays setting.

The dock itself works, because other devices connected to the dock (e.g., ethernet cable, headphones via usb, webcam, speakers via 3.5mm jack) work just out of the box.

I tried installing the DisplayLink driver for Debian from here: https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian

But on the reboot right after the installation, the boot (on tty1) got stuck at "Finished UTMP about System Runlevel Changes." Most of the solutions I've found online point me to reinstalling the nvidia driver, which I tried by switching to tty2. It didn't solve the "boot-stuck" problem. I ended up having to reinstall Gemini 4.5 from the Live USB.

I've double checked it's not any hardware issue because the monitor used to work on the same laptop with the same setup when I was using Lubuntu 20.04.2 and Mint 20.1, and it even worked on another laptop running the same version of Lubuntu on Plasma.

Just wondering if anyone here could give me some directions to make it work. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Alan

#2 2021-06-09 15:15

Cheker

Re: Gemini 4.5 (Plasma): External monitor via Dell D6000 dock

Greetings, how long ago were you using those other distros that worked? Were you using the same HDMI-DP setup then? I ask because there's a recent problem with Nvidia drivers and DP ports, it's affecting at least Manjaro users as well. It could be that. Look at this just in case: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/4 … ult/175782

#3 2021-06-09 15:26

alanlinux

Re: Gemini 4.5 (Plasma): External monitor via Dell D6000 dock

Thanks for the quick reply!

For Mint 20.1, it still worked just a few days ago, and it was exactly the same HDMI-DP setup.

It looks like it's specific to nvidia-driver-465, but I think I got 460 in my case...

In fact, it didn't work in Mint 20.1 at the beginning, but it was my stupid mistake: I forgot to disable Secure Boot in UEFI settings. But I'm sure it's "Disabled" now for Q4OS.

Board footer