You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-10 11:41

tomas

Samba server configuration between q4os and Windows 10

Good morning, I recently started working on Linux, and installed q4os because it seems to me the most indicated and appealing for the type of work I am performing, and I came across the following situation, when creating a shared folder on Linux, and configured as I could, I can create and edit documents in Windows, but if the file is created on Linux this does not allow me any editing ,
I noticed that folder called Partilhas1
On Linux belongs to the root group, but in Windows belongs to WORKGROUP, I thought of using the default WorkGROUP Windows to share the files through that group, but I came across what happened above, could indicate me what to do

I was doing some testing among linux users and I noticed that only the one who created the file can edit the file and the other users can't, they know something that helps
I was doing some testing between linux users and I noticed that only the one who created the file can edit the file and the other users can't, you know anything that might help?
grateful
Thomas Louis

Last edited by tomas (2021-05-10 11:49)

#2 2021-05-10 17:10

aluma

Re: Samba server configuration between q4os and Windows 10

Hi, tomas.

Each file and directory in Linux has its own access rights.
In your next thread, a colleague Tolkem tried to tell it.
Maybe it will be clearer if you look at the "file properties" in the file manager?
This is in trinity, in this window the owner of the file can change the rights by selecting the appropriate item.
Just try to play around with this case. smile

Attachments:
jpg снимок48.jpg, Size: 85.38 KiB, Downloads: 262

#3 2021-05-10 21:13

Tolkem

Re: Samba server configuration between q4os and Windows 10

aluma wrote:

Hi, tomas.

Each file and directory in Linux has its own access rights.
In your next thread, a colleague Tolkem tried to tell it.
Maybe it will be clearer if you look at the "file properties" in the file manager?
This is in trinity, in this window the owner of the file can change the rights by selecting the appropriate item.
Just try to play around with this case. smile

Do note that any changes made using this method will apply only to those files your user owns, i.e. any files in your $HOME, while others like important system's files won't be affected by this, unless you start the FM as root, thus effectively becoming root yourself and in that case you can change/assign permissions to any file, that being said, it's a risky procedure, it's recommended to do this via CLI using the chown command, thus avoiding errors caused by a GUI; "misclicking", wrong icon, etc, etc.

Board footer