You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-05 16:04

ribhu

Installation

I can't install Q4OS Trinity/KDE Plasma using live, classic or Windows installation methods. I have MSI B450M PRO M2 MAX with AMD Ryzen 3 3200G. In case of live boot, the live session or failsafe mode takes me to q4os-desktop tty1 and ask me to q4os-desktop login:. In classic installation, I have installed it successfully, but after reboot, the screen showed the same tty1. In case of Windows installation the installer installed it successfully, but after reboot the screen showed the same.
I've successfully installed and using Q4OS Trinity in my HP 15-AC122TU (Intel Core I3 5th gen) with the same bootable USB.
Can I get any suggestions? Is it because of the integrated graphics in AMD Ryzen 3 3200G? Because my MSI BIOS and graphics driver - everything is updated.
Thanks...

#2 2021-05-05 16:54

aluma

Re: Installation

At the prompt q4os-desktop, enter your username, then password.
Then enter the command "more /var/log/Xorg.0.log" (or "sudo more /var/log/Xorg.0.log", if the first does not work), it will display the contents of the graphics subsystem boot log. Perhaps there you will find the reason for the refusal.

PS. I apologize for pointing to a different distribution, but there is a build with extended support "... AMD Ryzen, AMD Radeon RX graphics ...". Google MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs” .

#3 2021-05-05 20:44

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@ribhu
You may need to install the latest kernel and firmware from backports repository, see the "qinst-kernel-bpo" command, https://www.q4os.org/dqa011.html#system.6 .

As Q4OS is based on Debian, we would also recommend you to check directions how make Debian working on that hardware. Such directions will be correct for Q4OS too.

@aluma
The Q4OS forum should serve for solving issues with Q4OS. Pointing to another distro isn't the way we would like to see here.

#4 2021-05-05 22:11

aluma

q4osteam wrote:

@aluma
The Q4OS forum should serve for solving issues with Q4OS. Pointing to another distro isn't the way we would like to see here.

Ok, I'm sorry, I'm trying to improve.
But let's put ourselves in the shoes of an inexperienced user.
He does not load the X server. It did not come to the question of connecting wifi during installation, the Internet is not active. How can the advice to connect the backports repository help him or lay out the output of a command that is not installed by default?

#5 2021-05-05 23:46

Tolkem

aluma wrote:

PS. I apologize for pointing to a different distribution, but there is a build with extended support "... AMD Ryzen, AMD Radeon RX graphics ...". Google MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs” .

Or, he/she could just add the mx-ahs repo to Q4OS https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3261

He does not load the X server. It did not come to the question of connecting wifi during installation, the Internet is not active. How can the advice to connect the backports repository help him or lay out the output of a command that is not installed by default?

Well, he/she did mention that Q4OS installs successfully, so even if X isn't loading, an internet connection might be available, and he/she could check by running at the prompt

ping google.com

if it throws some results back, the there's a connection, if he/she gets

temporary failure resolving names

error, then there isn't. Also, those commands @q4osteam suggests should work as well if as he/she says, Q4OS is indeed installed.

#6 2021-05-06 03:59

ribhu

@q4osteam Thanks for the advice. Debian Buster has some issues with the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and 3400G and such APUs. The problem occurs with the graphics drivers. Latest kernel from backports repository is needed.
I will report back, if the problem is not solved.
And to clarify the others, first the installation was successful and second, wired internet connection was active.

#7 2021-05-06 06:30

aluma

Hi Tolkem

I proceed from my experience.
With my installations, ethernet is turned on automatically, wifi requires a password in graphical mode.
The classic installation, as I understand it, is a console text mode with dialogs.

Regards.

#8 2021-05-06 12:46

Tolkem

aluma wrote:

Hi Tolkem

I proceed from my experience.
With my installations, ethernet is turned on automatically, wifi requires a password in graphical mode.
The classic installation, as I understand it, is a console text mode with dialogs.

Regards.

I understand. By the way, wifi can be activated from the command line too, it's a matter of editing /etc/network/interfaces, add the connection details which can be obtained with commands ip and iwlist, once done that, bring up the connection with the command ifup.

#9 2021-05-06 13:35

aluma

Tolkem wrote:

I understand. By the way, wifi can be activated from the command line too, it's a matter of editing /etc/network/interfaces, add the connection details which can be obtained with commands ip and iwlist, once done that, bring up the connection with the command ifup.

You are right, of course.
The times of dial-up are not forgotten yet. smile
But seriously, with today's variety of processors and other hardware, there is nothing surprising that someone pays more attention to certain models and nuances.
Simply because he has such a processor and he needs it himself, for example.
The average user needs a working computer rather than a "fun command line" experience.

Last edited by aluma (2021-05-06 13:48)

#10 2021-05-06 16:03

Tolkem

Well, actually it has nothing to do dial-up, doing that in the command line is just the same thing network manager GUI does for you. smile

#11 2021-05-06 16:31

aluma

For ppp, there were also console programs that fit the setup, but I'm afraid we're quite far off topic. smile

Board footer