You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-13 20:51

q4os_user

Q4OS Picasa issues

First, thank you so much for adding Picasa, as you can see, for instance, on alternativeTo, it still an immensely popular image viewer. However, there are a few problems with YOUR version of the Picasa app:

1) Because you have used the .deb file from another Linux distro, the color scheme of windows is black, so to fit other windows on that distro. But this color scheme doesn't look good on Q4OS at all, and the text is hard to read. You could probably fix this in Wine Registry.

2) Picasa for Linux uses special scripts/libraries to integrate with a given Linux distro. From the "README" inside the Picasa .deb file: "We've also provided the means for advanced users to customize Picasa for their particular environments. If you refer to the files in /opt/google/picasa/3.0/desktop, you'll see examples of how to tailor Picasa to your own environment." It looks like the Q4OS Team haven't utilized any of these scripts because one can't open images in Konqueror from Picasa or send emails through Thunderbird. There is even more info in the said "README" file. You may also find this link useful.

3) Update Wine to version 1.8.

4) And if it's possible, could you hide Wine inside the package, so that it wouldn't be installed globally? I don't want to have Wine on all my computers. This is what Google did with their Linux packages some years ago, so it is definitely doable. BTW, does Q4OS TeamViewer install Wine globally too, instead of being self-contained?

5) You could also update your version of Picasa to the latest 3.9 version (now or in the future). It works fine on Linux, but you need to solve a certain authentication issue. Here's a very simple solution to this problem.

I've already posted this on old forums, so it is just a reminder (I have also update some minor things). Maybe other people will have some suggestions as well.

Last edited by q4os_user (2016-02-13 20:53)

#2 2016-02-14 02:24

bobby
Website

Re: Q4OS Picasa issues

Google Announced Today they are Killing off Google Picasa and focusing on Google Photos.  Here is article about it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3033156/ … hotos.html

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-02-14 02:41

q4os_user

Re: Q4OS Picasa issues

bobby wrote:

Google Announced Today they are Killing off Google Picasa and focusing on Google Photos.  Here is article about it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3033156/ … hotos.html

Yeah, I've just learned about it. sad At least off-line functionality should still be working, I guess.

Last edited by q4os_user (2016-02-14 02:46)

Board footer