You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-12 11:20

niftyprose

KATE desktop icon

Hello guys, sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I couldn't find it.

I want to use the KATE (or properly the KATE-Trinity) editor in place of Kwrite. It may be installed at setup. I'm not sure.

I'm embarrassed to say that I got confused about naming, so I did sudo add-apt install kate / sudo add-apt remove kate / sudo add-apt install kate-trinity. Well, that's my fault. But KATE is definitely on my system now!

I can access the program by typing 'kate' in the terminal, which works fine. But it doesn't seem to have an icon anywhere in the menus, or in /usr/share/applications

I'd like to set up an icon to launch the program. I imagine it's very very easy?

Best, W.

#2 2021-04-12 14:57

niftyprose

Re: KATE desktop icon

I found the optional 'Kate Session Menu' under the KDE config dialogs. But an icon would still be good. Best, NP

#3 2021-04-12 15:09

Tolkem

niftyprose wrote:

I found the optional 'Kate Session Menu' under the KDE config dialogs. But an icon would still be good. Best, NP

Try with trinity applications menu(bourbon), just type kate and it should appear. If it doesn't have an icon, you can add one by editing the application.

I did sudo add-apt install kate / sudo add-apt remove kate / sudo add-apt install kate-trinity. Well, that's my fault. But KATE is definitely on my system now!

You didn't get any errors while typing those commands? 'Cause they're all wrong. To install software you use

sudo apt

or

sudo apt-get

the add-apt command is used to add repositories. In your case you should have used

sudo apt-get install kate-trinity

What's the output of

which kate-trinity

run that in konsole and paste the output in your reply.

Last edited by Tolkem (2021-04-12 15:11)

#4 2021-04-12 16:02

aluma

There is an intrigue here. smile
Trinity in Q4os is not quite trinity and the menu is refined. In the classic version, the "kate" item appears in the menu automatically. In addition, it will not be possible to simply delete the kate, there are many programs depending on it, from q4os-base to tdebase-trinity. This is best seen if you use Synaptic.
The correct answer is likely to be given by q4osteam.

Last edited by aluma (2021-04-12 16:03)

#5 2021-04-12 18:19

niftyprose

Thanks for all replies and sorry to Tolkem for garbled message earlier. It's been a weekend of repositories and I was in a hurry when I typed this morning's message. Kate-trinity has run fine all day so checks not needed, also I think the optional Kate Session Menu (which I hadn't been aware of) covers my needs very well. Only question is: where do I install the 3rd party wordcount? Q4os doesn't seem to have ~/.kde/share/apps/kate/scripts/.

Also since I seem to have got some Q4os mavens with this query, I'd like to request your collective brainpower on my other query, which relates to softphones. Hijacking my own thread: I run a Linux softphone with an SIP account but no corresponding smartphone. I've been using YATE, which I find excellent, and am happy to build it from sources for Q4os. But you Q4os guys may have a preferred softphone.

Anything but Skype!

Best, W.

Last edited by niftyprose (2021-04-12 18:19)

#6 2021-04-12 20:08

aluma

niftyprose wrote:

...wordcount?

This "out of the box" can do  LibreOffice Writer.

#7 2021-04-13 05:42

bin

On the Live system I found I had to go to /opt/trinity/share/applications/tde

As sudo edit kate.desktop

Go to the end of the file and delete the line NoDisplay=True

It will then show up in the same place as kwrite

Editor with wordcount - Install Featherpad - no dependencies/extras apart from translations file. word count button at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited by bin (2021-04-13 05:47)

#8 2021-04-13 07:10

niftyprose

Thanks aluma and bin. I use LibreOffice for spreadsheets and the like and have it installed already. However, most of my writing is for the web and so I need a dedicated text editor.

I've heard +ve reports on KATE and would like to get the wordcount working, so would still appreciate if anyone can tell me where to find its .../scripts directory in Q4os. But Bin's suggestion of Featherpad is excellent. I didn't know about this handy little piece of software, which will get me through the next couple of weeks and perhaps longer.

Best, NP

#9 2021-04-13 09:24

aluma

Hi
There is a version of kate for KDE 5 with a built-in word counter. It is at the top in this Synaptic window. But when installing, it pulls a bunch of libraries.

Attachments:
jpg снимок38.jpg, Size: 78.95 KiB, Downloads: 267

#10 2021-04-13 09:46

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

niftyprose wrote:

... would still appreciate if anyone can tell me where to find its .../scripts directory in Q4os.

"$HOME/.trinity/share/apps/kate/scripts" , you may need to create it:
$ mkdir -p $HOME/.trinity/share/apps/kate/scripts

niftyprose wrote:

... it doesn't seem to have an icon anywhere in the menus ...

Please see @bin suggestion https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.ph … 199#p20199

#11 2021-04-13 12:26

niftyprose

Thanks, Aluma and Q4osteam, that is much appreciated. I will try to activate the KATE wordcount script I found, which is the best solution I think. I'll update this thread so that people know if it worked.

But, meanwhile, I will mention that bin's suggestion of FeatherPad really works very well for me.  I didn't know about this software, which provides a good wordcount, character count and multiple tabbed documents with a tiny footprint. That's most of my 'shopping list' right there!

I'm going to update the softphone thread separately.

Best, NP

Board footer