You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-10 23:19

Melita

Re-installing Windows after Q4OS dual boot.

I have installed Q4OS in dual boot configuration with Windows. I am going to wipe the Windows partition clean, and re-install Windows.

Some time back, I had another Distro installed to dual boot with Windows. When I deleted that Distro from it's own  partition (leaving Windows as it was), I was unable to boot in to Windows. When I started the computer, I was getting a message about 'Mising Grub'. When I installed another distro in place of the first one (booting from a DVD), which I believe installed the Grub, then only was I able to boot in to Windows.

When I wipe the Windows partition clean this time and re-install Windows, would there be a problem with retaining the dual boot configuration, which I now have? What should I do to avoid a similar situation as before?

Thank you

#2 2016-02-10 23:36

bobby
Website

Re: Re-installing Windows after Q4OS dual boot.

If you just allow Windows to reinstall to C: drive it will remove the Grub2 bootloader and you will need to reinstall Grub2 later.

I don't know how others feel is the proper procedure to reinstall Windows in a dual-boot environment but, I always restore the Windows boot loader using the Windows Image Recovery CD and then re-install Windows.

After Windows is re-installed I have a couple options:

A. Make a Grub2 CD and install GRUB2 to your hard drive; or

B. Use the Q4OS LiveCD to install Q4OS to a secondary partition and install Grub2 back to hard drive. This will setup all boot partitions in the GRUB Bootloader menu.

If you do B above, its easy to boot back in to Q4OS (primary) and using Gparted, delete the (secondary Q4OS install) partition. Then run apt-get grub2 update from the terminal to remove the 3rd boot entry from the Grub2 bootloader menu.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#3 2016-02-10 23:43

Dai_trying

Windows will put it's own boot manager into the MBR. There are a few ways to get your grub back once windows is re-installed, I have posted one HERE.
HTH

Dai

#4 2016-02-12 20:23

Melita

crosscourt wrote:

You could run Windows in Virtualbox depending on your needs. Its become a popular option for those who prefer Linux but need Windows at times.
Im sure some of our members or the Q4OS team could walk you through it and the advantages/disadvantages.

I think I'll be able to do what is suggested by bobby and Dai_trying both. Still undecided as to which method to go for.

Regards

#5 2016-02-12 20:49

Dai_trying

Just to add to my post, I have tried it with q4os 1.4.6 live-cd and it worked flawlessly. Just make sure you choose correct partitions if you decide to do it the way I suggested. And both bobby's suggestions would also work as stated.
I personally prefer my way as it uses no other resources than what you already have, and makes has no impact on the system other than installing grub.

Dai

#6 2016-02-12 23:05

bobby
Website

@Melita,   Dai's terminal Grub recovery process is more direct and faster.  What I suggest is a way for you and others to use a reinstall of Q4OS if you are not comfortable using Terminal Commands to get Grub2 to work again.  Dai's way is faster and a better way.

If you need help with restoring the Windows Bootloader before rebuilding Windows, let me know and I will post the procedure using the Windows Image Recovery CD.

Some systems that have a hidden recovery partition will rebuild and revert back to the Windows bootloader using their utilities on the hidden recovery partition. For Example: pressing F12, F11 or F10 on some computers (Mostly name brand like HP, Dell, IBM and Acer) will take you to the recovery options for Windows providing that the original Factory Hard Drive Configuration (Partitions) and hidden recovery partition/data have not been deleted.

Hope this helps you decide which is best procedure for you to use.

Let us know if you have any questions at all and how it goes rebuilding Windows & dual booting back to both Windows & Q4OS.

Bobby

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#7 2016-02-14 19:02

Melita

bobby wrote:

@Melita,   Dai's terminal Grub recovery process is more direct and faster.  What I suggest is a way for you and others to use a reinstall of Q4OS if you are not comfortable using Terminal Commands to get Grub2 to work again.  Dai's way is faster and a better way.

I am quite comfortable with the terminal.

bobby wrote:

If you need help with restoring the Windows Bootloader before rebuilding Windows, let me know........

I am not sure I understand this. I am not recovering windows. I want to erase windows completely and re-install new. I have a DVD with a Windows 7 installation that I have downloaded from microsoft. This is what I am going to use.

bobby wrote:

Some systems that have a hidden recovery partition will rebuild and revert back to the Windows bootloader using their utilities on the hidden recovery partition. For Example: pressing F12, F11 or F10 on some computers (Mostly name brand like HP, Dell, IBM and Acer) will take you to the recovery options for Windows providing that the original Factory Hard Drive Configuration (Partitions) and hidden recovery partition/data have not been deleted.

I have a recovery partition but I am not using that because I want to avoid all the rubbish that came with the pre-installed version of the manufacturer. My personal files and folders are saved elsewhere.

Regards

#8 2016-02-14 19:17

Dai_trying

You are doing exactly what I have done on a couple of machines, I find the system soooooo much more responsive afterwards without all the bloatware that manufacturers want us to have on our systems. Just make sure you have a working pc (or laptop) available as my experience tells me the drivers for networking and wireless may not be on the install disk. If this is the case just search the manufacturers site for the driver and use that to manually update driver from usb (or similar).

Dai

#9 2016-02-14 21:54

bobby
Website

The only reason I mention about restoring the Windows Bootloader is if you let windows pick Drive C when GRUB bootloader is active, there is a slime chance that Windows 7 will blow out all partitions except for your Recovery "Hidden" partition. By restoring the WIndows Bootloader that points to C: "Windows" partition then Windows 7 Install CD will reinstall without effecting the Linux Partitions.

There is another reason for this approach of restoring the Windows Bootloader before Installing Windows 7 Fresh but, it may not be an issue since you have a Windows 7 Install CD from Microsoft. Windows 7 hardware detection will send information about your hard drive to Microsoft. On my emachines laptop I was not allowed to "Activate" my Windows 7 because I did not restore the hard drive back to OEM specs. Meaning, C: Drive Windows + OEM Hidden Partition.

You will just have to install Windows 7 to the NFTS Partition (Not the Hidden one) and see if they will let you install Windows. Hopefully they will and you can activate it as Genuine.

No Longer Using Q4OS

#10 2016-02-18 21:13

Melita

It is satisfying to know that, what I thought of doing has already been done by those with much greater knowledge of computing!

I am wondering about some folders in Program Files 86. They are - Acer Power Management, Acer eRecovery management, Acer Updater. There is also one named Elantech (touchpad I think). When I wipe the partition clean all this will be deleted. I think the Acer folders will be permanently lost. I am not sure about Elantech. How will this impact what I am trying to do? Will I be able to get them back from the Acer web site, or is there any other solution?

Thank you

#11 2016-02-18 21:25

Dai_trying

What I would do is go to the acer website enter your product in the support section and download all they have to offer, put them on a usb stick or similar and when you have reinstalled windows you will be able to use usb to install them. One thing to note though, the eRecovery will probably not work as you will not have the images on you computer to create them, although you will probably (I haven't checked) be able to do backups using it.
Bottom line is drivers will be available but you may need to find them. Extra software (if you really want it) might be re installable but would probably have limited functionality.

Dai

#12 2016-02-19 01:30

Melita

Mine is an Acer 5250. I think it is a 2011 model. OS is Windows 7

#13 2016-02-19 03:50

Melita

crosscourt wrote:

Make sure to use Windows 7 to create a restore point in case you have any issues so you can fall back to it.

Create a restore point soon after re-installing Windows 7?

crosscourt wrote:

The 5250 isnt the best performer but overall its a decent budget laptop, missing a few features like HDMI and Bluetooth you see on other Aspire models.

When I bought it in 2011 my computer knowledge was almost nothing. I didn't know that the 1Ghz processor left much to be desired. Apart from that, Acer support is also horrid when compared to other manufacturers such as Asus and Dell.

Regards

Last edited by Melita (2016-02-19 04:38)

#14 2016-02-19 04:48

Melita

I don't have the Radeon processor. Mine is AMD dual core C-50 (1Ghz). This is Acer 5250-BZ479. Initially I had 2GB RAM, but I added 2GB more to make it 4GB.

I found that my Firefox bookmarks are in a terrible mess. As I will be exporting them to my Q4OS Firefox, I want to sort them out before I do the Windows re-install. This will take a few days. When the re-install is done I'll get back here with the results.

My sister was influenced by my choice of Q4OS in favour of Windows and she also dual booted Q4OS with Windows 7. If my re-install goes well she wants me to do the same for her!

Last edited by Melita (2016-02-19 04:49)

#15 2016-02-19 05:02

Melita

Thank you for all the help. My sister is already hooked on Q4OS smile Like me, she saw the neatness, attention to detail, and the quality of Trinity.

Last edited by Melita (2016-03-17 00:40)

#16 2016-02-19 05:08

Melita

Our posts keep overlapping. I posted just before you did!

#17 2016-02-26 19:00

Melita

Here is something I found on the Internet.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OS-Uninstaller

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769489

Can this be useful to me for my Windows 7 re-installation.

I have been trying to have a look at the driver folders in Win 7 without success. Can you help me to locate them.

Thank you

#18 2016-02-26 19:19

Dai_trying

Drivers can be downloaded from  http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers or select country if not in uk, as for removing windows, It is really easy with gparted (on the live-cd). I think it is pretty straight-forward to use, but any questions just ask smile

Dai

#19 2016-02-26 19:42

Melita

I was interested in the Ubuntu un-installer because I saw in their forum that it does not affect the boot loader. Thank you for the link to Acer drivers. I would like just to have a look at the driver folders already in my computer. I enabled hidden files but I am not able to locate them.

#20 2016-02-26 20:12

Melita

crosscourt wrote:

I would avoid the uninstaller as Ive had a few clients who had issues using it. I agree with Dai, there are easier more straightforward ways of doing it.

Yes, I just wanted your opinions. I will just delete the Windows partition using Gparted. Still looking around for the driver folders!

Thank you

#21 2016-02-26 20:29

Melita

Found them in System 32. Never occurred to check there! There are two of them, 'Drivers' and 'Driver Store'.

Thank you

Last edited by Melita (2016-02-26 20:33)

#22 2016-03-17 00:53

Melita

About re-installing Windows, I had to keep on postponing this project due to time constraints. Just when I am finally ready, it is time for me to go away. Each year I take a few months off for a long holiday abroad. This year it will be for about 5 months in South Asia and the Far East. So, I'll have to continue after I return somewhere in August!

Thought I'll post this, so that you'll know that I have not neglected to post a feed back after re-installing Windows.

Kind Regards

#23 2016-03-17 01:05

Melita

Thank you for your kind wishes smile When I get back, I might post some thing in "General Discussion", if there is anything worthwhile sharing.

#24 2023-12-10 02:09

hennmann

Since this is an old thread, is there anything current that has changed to restore the bootloader? I lost my WIFI capabilities on my Acer Aspire One 533 netbook and Windows support suggested upgrading to the latest version of 10. I lost my WIFI a number of months ago and of course the version of 10 has changed and as I type this my Acer is being updated and I know it will trash my Q4OS bootloader. 
By simply using a USB media installer is there a feature or option on the installation media that will restore the bootloader leaving everything intact?
For the longest time I have been using Q4OS on this netbook due to the Win 10 WIFI issues.

Board footer