You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-28 07:45

Chris_IT_Guy

Will not start the desktop - only command line

Hi, I've been trying to get q4os to boot to a usb in the live environment. I used rufus to burn the iso file to the usb like I would with any other linux installation and I restarted my computer and booted to the usb. everything seems to be going ok, but instead of getting any gui at all, it only boots into the command line and auto logs in. this is a fresh burn of the iso file. It never gives me any options or anything. It just boots into the command line. It does this on both computers I've tried it on, and it does this with both the plasma and trinity desktop installations. I've also tried using the "failsafe mode" and it still won't load any form of gui.
Do I need to use something other than rufus?
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris

#2 2021-02-28 20:11

Chris_IT_Guy

Re: Will not start the desktop - only command line

More information:
same thing happens with Centaurus and Scorpion.
Once it boots up, there is only command line and no gui. The gui reads:

Debian GNU/Linux 10 debian tty1

debian login: adminq (automatic login)

Linux debian 4.19.0-14-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.171-2 (2021-01-30) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software:
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRENTY, to the extent of permitted by applicable law.
adminq@debian:~$_

As previously stated, this has been the result with the plasma desktop for Centaurus and the trinity desktop for Centaurus and Scorpion.
I've had the same result on both computers I've tested on (i5 10th gen, no dedicated graphics card) & (i7 7th gen, nvidia gtx 1050). It does this with both the live mode and the live(failsafe) mode.
I've used rufus to burn the iso file and I've used sudo cp .iso /dev/sdx to copy the file. Always the same result.
I've never been able to get into the desktop environment.

Thanks for your time you took to read this.
if you have any idea I'll give it a go. I just want to boot into the live environment so I can test out q4os.

Thanks again,

-Chris

#3 2021-03-01 14:12

Chris_IT_Guy

Re: Will not start the desktop - only command line

Update: Still been fighting with it. I decided to finally just use the installer CD and perform an install. Once installed I STILL couldn't get into the desktop environment. I had a fully working terminal session, but I still couldn't get into any sort of GUI.

Board footer