You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-17 20:58

arturasb

Sharing my experience with Q4OS

Hi.

New to the forum, but not to Linux smile

I wanted to share my experience about installing Q4OS (stable & testing) to two of my laptops - old HP EliteBook 8460p and MacBook Pro (A1425). All went smooth except one issue - after multiple attempts to install the stable version to EliteBook I was greeted with the "No bootable drive" error after first reboot to newly installed laptop. Booted with LiveUSB, installed GParted and had to set "boot" flag to the partition containing root. This solved the problem.
As for MBP, I decided to try the testing version. To my big surprise this was super smooth, even proprietary WiFi drivers were installed and I was able to connect my WiFi right after first reboot. And that's with older kernel !
In both installations I selected minimal install, LUKS encryption and Plasma desktop. System uses only 450-550MB of RAM. I like the appearance of install dialog windows, which resembles some Windows version smile

In general, Q4OS is very friendly to older hardware, haven't tried it with new Intel/nVidia/AMD.

I'd like to thank developers and maintainers of Q4OS for such good distro. So far best KDE distro wink after trying other KDE/Plasma distributions.

A.

Board footer