You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-24 22:58

globetrotterdk

Thoughts on Q4OS by a new user.

Being a very new user of Q4OS, I thought that I would write down my first impressions of the distribution. While I have used Ubuntu based distros for a number of years, I come most recently from Fedora 32/33.

What impresses me most, and is the Q4OS distributions’s forte, is it’s pivoting towards business use, when compared to Debian in general. Interoperability in a business environment with Windows, as well as ease of use for new users are commendable goals. However, I do have some doubts as well. In some areas, the appearance of looking like Windows seems to have developed into a goal in and of its self. User friendliness regarding where the Grub boot menu is hidden, while the boot process of scrolling text is visible, could scare some first time Linux users and frustrate users with more experience. Perhaps a way to toggle between beginner and user mode at startup, or taking the lead from Ubuntu and trying to provide an understandable Grub menu that is configurable (within Grub’s limitations), while boot processes are hidden?

To sum up, while Q4OS can’t be Red Hat, I still believe that there is a real audience for a distribution for business users, and creative users that are goal/target focused on their product. I hope that my post will be received in the spirit that it is given - not as an expert, but as a user - not as a critic, but as an admirer of the amazing things that the developers are trying to do, while maintaining focus. Cudos.

Last edited by globetrotterdk (2020-12-25 06:43)

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

Board footer