You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-05 00:08

Syllabear3

I want to try linux for the first time and need advice.

Hello,

I got a notebook CQ42-121LA and i wanted to ask if it is good idea to install q4os. I am a basic user and i would try linux for the first time, so advice and guide is apreciated.

#2 2020-12-05 06:47

bin

Re: I want to try linux for the first time and need advice.

Welcome

It's always a good idea to install Q4OS wink

OK so you have an HP-Compaq Presario laptop which is a good start. Generally HP kit is good with linux (there are odd gotchas but nothing scary) However, this is an oldish machine.

I have attached a text file of the spec of your machine to which you will need to refer in future. The initial concern is memory. It seems to have a stock installation of 1Gb RAM. This will severly limit your enjoyment and I would suggest you up this as much as you can afford. Max is 8Gb but 4 will do nicely.

If this is your only machine then your approach may need to be a bit more cautious than if this is a spare that you want to use for fun/learning.

First of all you need to download Q4OS - get the TDE 64 bit Centaurus iso q4os-3.12-x64-tde.r4.iso https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … o/download This uses Trinity Desktop which is a continuation of an older desktop environment (DE) but is is still being actively developed. It is very light on resource use and will run well on your hardware. I think your machine will have a Broadcom wifi card, so if possible see if you can also connect over ethernet just in case it is necessary. Although Broadcom cover is pretty well sorted it is not unknown to need a bit of a prod.

Once you've got the iso you need to burn it to a USB key - that is not the same as just copying the file. If you need help with this just ask but it is information that is all over the web.

After that you should be able to boot from the USB and you'll get the live version of Q4OS Trinity to explore. It will be a bit different if you are coming from a windows background, but fundamentally it's the same - you have an operating system and a GUI with which to use it.

Do take a look at all the documentation on the Q4OS web site - it is useful.

Enjoy

Attachments:
txt presario info.txt, Size: 2.5 KiB, Downloads: 405

#3 2020-12-05 17:22

Syllabear3

Thanks for answering. My memory is pc 10600s (1333mhz) but it says 1066mhz speed i dont get it. And i doubt i will get more ram, max 1gb extra due to low cash. Also ive been recomended to use 3gb and 32bits os becasue the low power cpu will bottleneck.
I downloaded and burnt into a dvd (i dont own a usb) "Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, install-cd - 32bit / i386" from q4os(dot)org/downloads. Can i use that or do you still recomend me the one you linked?

I also wanted to ask if i will get in troubles with drivers or this os can handle it. Will i need to install or update them? I am sorry i am asking so many questions, i know i will f up ;(

#4 2020-12-05 18:33

wove

I run Q4OS Trinity Desktop on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ which has 1GB of RAM and it runs well. That is running on ARM based hardware and your results on X86 hardware may be different.

I have found that you can multi-task with a good number of different applications with good performance. Some applications, especially web browsers are very RAM intensive and will be constrained by your resources. Firefox for instance will be slow and jerky with multiple tabs opens, or even a single tab if visiting a script heavy web site.

However applications like KOffice, Kontact and Armarok can run very well at the same time without stressing out the system.

bill

#5 2020-12-06 00:34

tlmiller76

Syllabear3 wrote:

Thanks for answering. My memory is pc 10600s (1333mhz) but it says 1066mhz speed i dont get it. And i doubt i will get more ram, max 1gb extra due to low cash. Also ive been recomended to use 3gb and 32bits os becasue the low power cpu will bottleneck.
I downloaded and burnt into a dvd (i dont own a usb) "Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, install-cd - 32bit / i386" from q4os(dot)org/downloads. Can i use that or do you still recomend me the one you linked?

I also wanted to ask if i will get in troubles with drivers or this os can handle it. Will i need to install or update them? I am sorry i am asking so many questions, i know i will f up ;(

CPu in terms of 32-bit will not be a bottleneck, the CPU in those machines are 64-bit.  With max ram supported being 8GB, I'd watch local sales like craigslist for someone selling dual 2GB/4GB compatible sticks to upgrade to 4/8 GB on the cheap (although realistically over 4GB is probably overkill).  While it's not the newest hardware in the world, running the Trinity version of Q4os 64-bit on that w/ 4GB ram would, in theory, run absolutely just fine.  Should run just fine with even less ram, but 4GB would allow for better multi-tasking and browser tabs.

Last edited by tlmiller76 (2020-12-06 00:35)

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

#6 2020-12-06 07:23

bin

Syllabear3 wrote:

If you use a 32 bit os on a 64 bit machine you are not getting the best from your CPU.
Try the 64 bit version first.
4Gb stick for your machine is approx 22GBP
2Gb is approx 17GBP

Drivers in the linux world are not quite the same issue as they are with Windows as the vast majority are already there.
The only issue may be that you will need to (re)install the Broadcom drivers for your wifi after installing the system. Hence my suggestion that having an ethernet connection for the laptop may be handy.

All the software for your Q4OS machine is in a system called a repository - you do not need to go off searching for stuff to download. The repository is a bit like an app store.

#7 2020-12-06 19:58

crosscourt
Website

Totally agree bin. If youre using a 64bit cpu definitely use the 64bit distro. Synaptic is a great tool for accessing apps and having so much software at your fingertips in a safe to install method makes for a very stable system.

Thank goodness I have an ethernet connection as Ive had some problems with wifi cards recently and drivers, mostly with older hardware.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#8 2020-12-06 22:28

Syllabear3

Thanks so much fot the answers guys! Sadly i dont have ethernet, only wifi. I will def try q4os in this note book when im able to get ethernet and more ram. I even want to try it in my pc when im able to afford repair it (power supply went ded i think).
I really hate how invasive and resource devouring windows is, not to mention you dont get licences when you buy a pc ;\

#9 2020-12-07 12:56

hchiper

I agree too: install the 64 bit version. It is what I did, despite only a 32 bit driver was available for my printer! I just added the 32 bit architecture and after that I could install the driver successfully.

Regarding the RAM upgrade, even if one slot is still free, I believe it would be preferable to buy a kit of 2 identical memory sticks rather than to add a 2nd stick to the one already installed. Can someone confirm?

Another point is the hard drive. It is very slow compared to a solid-state drive (SSD). I believe it is worth considering to replace your HD with a SSD. It is what I did on my old laptop. Now the login screen prompts in seconds after powering on smile And firefox, libreoffice... too.

Last edited by hchiper (2020-12-07 14:06)

Q4OS machines: [Samsung R519 - Pentium T4200 2.0 GHz - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD] & [Sony Vaio - Pentium P6000 1.87 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD]

#10 2020-12-07 21:39

tlmiller76

hchiper wrote:

I agree too: install the 64 bit version. It is what I did, despite only a 32 bit driver was available for my printer! I just added the 32 bit architecture and after that I could install the driver successfully.

Regarding the RAM upgrade, even if one slot is still free, I believe it would be preferable to buy a kit of 2 identical memory sticks rather than to add a 2nd stick to the one already installed. Can someone confirm?

Another point is the hard drive. It is very slow compared to a solid-state drive (SSD). I believe it is worth considering to replace your HD with a SSD. It is what I did on my old laptop. Now the login screen prompts in seconds after powering on smile And firefox, libreoffice... too.

Yes, matched DIMMS are always better, but given the age of the machine, you're not really going to see the difference.  So the biggest thing is just try to get a bit more ram in there for general usability improvement.  But if OP sees a pair of 2GB DIMMS for $5 more than a single 2GB DIMM, I'd definitely snag it and upgrade both.

As for the SSD, definitely isn't a bad idea, but depending on how much storage space the OP expects to need, it could end up being a moderately significant expenditure, although if they don't think they'd need much, definitely would improve the responsiveness of the system.

Q4OS Trinity machine - Lenovo K14 Gen1 AMD.  AMD Ryzen R5-5650U, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Vega 7, Realtek 8852 Wifi 6E + BT 5.2.

Board footer