You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-13 22:40

elefant

no desktop after installation

Installing Linux first time and had no any experience with Linux before.

I  downloaded image of "Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, install-cd - 64bit" and installed on my HP notebook as additional system (other one is Windows 10). Installation was successful, but after loading of Q4OS it gives me only command line (actually, i don't know right name for this in Linux but i hope that you understand me). So i can enter my login and password and other command. But there is no any desktop or applications.
Please advise me - is it normal situation and if yes, what should be my my further steps to adjust the system for normal "user friendly" view.

Thanks!

#2 2020-11-14 06:55

bin

Re: no desktop after installation

I have no experience of Windows based installation, but while waiting for advice on that you may be able to make progress.

Once you have got to the command line and entered your name and password you should be able to get the GUI running by just typing startx and hitting enter.

Hopefully that will work. If it does not then it should produce an error message which will tell us what is going wrong.

#3 2020-11-14 22:44

elefant

It wasn't Windows installation, i installed Q4OS from USB boot flash memory. Sorry for confusing.

Anyway, after i logged in i typed command "startx" and no GUI appeared, only few lines of some version information and fatal server error (unable to connect to X server:Connection refused)

Maybe it is beacause it was offline installation and I have no any network connection?

#4 2020-11-15 07:09

bin

OK - no problem.
The Xserver error is unusual these days.

My first choice here would be to start again with the live media https://sourceforge.net/projects/q4os/f … tde.r4.iso. Burn to USB as before. The install-cd is not quite the same thing.

If that works all well and good - if not then we need to start looking at your hardware. You say it's an HP notebook. This can cover a multitude of models but generally HP are good with linux.

I have no recent experience with installing in a dual boot Windows/Linux machine so please be sure you are careful and are aware of other caveats about boot loaders etc etc. If in doubt check first.

#5 2020-11-15 08:22

elefant

Thanks, i'll try it little bit later.

What about dual Windows and Linux installation - at least Windows continue to work properly after Linux installation, i just choose desirable OS during loading of PC.

#6 2020-11-15 22:26

elefant

I've tried this live Linux. Same problem. After typing command "startx" i had fatal server error (unable to connect to X server)

Board footer