You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-26 20:58

franky44

Installed Q4 4.1

I just installed version 4.1. I have 3 SSDs. so I put it on one of those drives, rather than try to partition the other two drives. Everything went smooth as glass, until I booted up after the install. I tried to do the desk top profile, but Nvidia drivers kept getting in the way. I thought, "Okay, I'll just give it time to do it's driver install."

Thirty minutes later, it still wasn't done. I checked my network connections, everything was good to go. I tried to reboot, that didn't work. I yelled at it a few times, but it wouldn't listen to me. I didn't get any error messages. As far as I can tell, the system works like a champ with V 4.1. I noticed it's a bit slower than V 3.10, which I still have on another drive.

So, how do I convince Nvidia to shut the hell up? I thought about doing the install again, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thank Ya'll for your time.

#2 2020-06-26 21:07

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Installed Q4 4.1

franky44 wrote:

... but Nvidia drivers kept getting in the way. ... Thirty minutes later, it still wasn't done.

It's known Q4OS-4 bug, that will be fixed in the next Gemini install media revision. You only need to remove the "/tmp/.nvdinstl-afT4g.tmp" lock file to release the welcome screen buttons.

#3 2020-06-26 22:37

Midas

If it is any consolation, I've had the Nvidia drivers bog down startup of a fresh Windows 10 installation to several minutes...  with a full black screen... on a SSD -- once the issue was fixed, the same system would boot up in a mater of seconds.

#4 2020-06-27 14:56

franky44

Midas: Thanks. It's good to know the install went without a hitch. I'll take the q4osteam advice and go after the "/tmp/.nvdinstl-afT4g.tmp" with a vengeance.

q4osteam: Aha... thanks. I'll repair the miscreant file, and I'll wait for the next install version. This is all for trying out Q4OS 4.1. I'm using Q4OS 3.10 on my linux box (laptop). Over on the desktop Windows system I have 3 SSD's. So I can tinker around with different OS's. When everything goes according to plan, I'll install 4.1 over to this machine. I'm installing 16 GB of ram on it. That badboy is gonna raise all kinds of hell.

#5 2020-06-28 16:28

franky44

"You only need to remove the "/tmp/.nvdinstl-afT4g.tmp" lock file to release the welcome screen buttons."

I tried to find the file.  cd /tmp... but all I found was a listing of "private" files.

I decided that I'm just going to wait for the next release. Problem solved. Many thanks for your help with this. You have made it to the top of my Christmas Card list.

Board footer