You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-02 23:09

CaptNoize
Website

Latest Update

The latest update that I did,using apt-get dist-upgrade has crashed my computer.! I did the upgrade,then did autoclean,...then restarted. Q4OS loaded,disk checked,files loaded. Then the screen went black, and wouldn't do anything. I pulled the plug,restarted it,with the same results. I can't even get it to load the main screen. Any suggestions...? I hope I don't have to reload the entire OS...!

#2 2016-02-02 23:19

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Latest Update

Looks more like a hardware issue. Which phase of boot process does your computer stop in ? Could you paste some boot messages here or describe failing boot process in more detail ?

#3 2016-02-02 23:47

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Try to tap 'Esc' key during boot, Grub boot menu will appear. Select and run 'failsafe' mode and put boot messages here to analyze.

#4 2016-02-02 23:57

CaptNoize
Website

When it starts, if I hold down F1...it will enter the bios. When  I start normally, it says: loading Q4OS operating system, loading initial ramdisk,
Loading/dev/sda1:recovering journal loading /dev/sda1:clean  107779504 files  equal number of blocks then it says Debian Gnu Stretched Q4OS
Then the screen goes black....doesn't come back on. It was running fine,until I restarted it....

#5 2016-02-02 23:58

CaptNoize
Website

OK...I'll try to run failsafe mode

#6 2016-02-03 00:19

CaptNoize
Website

Tried ESC...entered Advanced Options for Q4OS...no "failsafe" mode. Entered Q4OS Desktop  1.4.6-n1 (recovery mode) After entering recovery mode, process runs, stops and says"Cannot open console....the root account is locked" .
See sulogin(8) man page for details. Error getting authority.. No S h file.....then goes black.

Last edited by CaptNoize (2016-02-03 00:31)

#7 2016-02-03 00:45

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We would recommend to pass memory and disk hardware tests at this point. As far as we know, 'SystemRescueCD' www.system-rescue-cd.org is the best option.

#8 2016-02-03 01:05

CaptNoize
Website

So...at this point..wouldn't I be further ahead to just reload the OS.??? This rescue CD seems more of a hassle than just reloading it...! Ugh..!

Last edited by CaptNoize (2016-02-03 01:06)

#9 2016-02-03 01:09

CaptNoize
Website

I think that's the best way out CC.....the rescue disc looks difficult to use....

#10 2016-02-03 01:13

bobby
Website

Folks, we had this discuss before about the many options of the Q4OS LiveCD.  I know I have also been a little beyond normal with what other things I want to use the Q4OS LiveCD for but, that's for another day smile

CaptNoize,  Boot your Q4OS LiveCD.  Run it through the passes. Launch Google, Browse the Web.  Open terminal: sudo apt-get Update and install a couple programs. sudo apt-get gimp & sudo apt-get ksnapshot or which ever you want.

IF this LiveCD boot works and no errors occur during browsing, updating, installing THEN there is nothing wrong with your computer.

One thing that does come to mind that happen to me back in 2009 using Debian was a corrupt install that locked the root account Same error.  I went in and cleared the root password from a live CD and then manually re-installed the filesystem and the system came back up.

Q4OS Team will have to comment on this as a possible option.

updated: 8 times - Sorry, Spelling errors - I am sick this week.

Last edited by bobby (2016-02-03 01:17)

No Longer Using Q4OS

#11 2016-02-03 01:19

CaptNoize
Website

I have all my files on a flash drive,...it's just a pain to re-do this whole thing,,,,again..! But,,,like you pointed out,,,if it's a hardware issue,,it should rear it's ugly head. IMO..however... I Don't think it's the hardware.....I may be wrong....Holy shades of Wind blows...! It's a replay of last year..!

#12 2016-02-03 02:05

bobby
Website

I have only installed 1.4.6 on my test machines and do not update them as I used them as base systems to build from.

@CaptNoise,   I agree with cc that a hard drive going out would not be tested by booting a LiveCD, so test it.

Boot the LiveCD,   Open My Computer, Storage Media, Locate the Icon that of your hard Drive where Q4OS is installed and open it.

Then browse to your /home folder

Then right Click the Documents folder --> copy

in /home folder --> Create a new folder call atemp

Then open folder atemp --> right click and paste.

You will duplicate your documents folder to your new /home/atemp folder   (As a test)

If your Documents folder does not contain at least 2GB of data, I suggest using a USB key data for the test..

See if there are any errors.

I agree with cc and Q4OS Team for a more accurate test but, after all above chances are if no errors hard drive and computer are okay.

q4osteam wrote:

We would recommend to pass memory and disk hardware tests at this point. As far as we know, 'SystemRescueCD' www.system-rescue-cd.org is the best option.

Let us know what you find out so we can help further

No Longer Using Q4OS

#13 2016-02-03 02:32

bobby
Website

CaptNoize wrote:

When it starts, if I hold down F1...it will enter the bios. When  I start normally, it says: loading Q4OS operating system, loading initial ramdisk,
Loading/dev/sda1:recovering journal loading /dev/sda1:clean  107779504 files  equal number of blocks then it says Debian Gnu Stretched Q4OS
Then the screen goes black....doesn't come back on. It was running fine,until I restarted it....

cc, your right  by, what he wrote. Hmm.  that's not good if the case.

This is the kind of stuff I worry about when recommending new options for people I know. I worry I will get a call that at 3 am from someone, Debian just stretched my computer now what do I do. 

So it was not an update of the stable, it was an upgrade to "Strech" ?   

I have not got in to the filesystem configuration / upgrade part. I don't have a clue about , "then what". sad

cc, does an upgrade to Strech have to be done as root from the Terminal ? (I really don't know)

Bobby

No Longer Using Q4OS

#14 2016-02-03 03:49

bobby
Website

CaptNoize wrote:

I have all my files on a flash drive,...it's just a pain to re-do this whole thing,,,,again..! But,,,like you pointed out,,,if it's a hardware issue,,it should rear it's ugly head. IMO..however... I Don't think it's the hardware.....I may be wrong....Holy shades of Wind blows...! It's a replay of last year..!

@CaptNoize

Is this a dual boot Q4OS / Windows setup ?

No Longer Using Q4OS

#15 2016-02-03 06:44

CaptNoize
Website

OK...it's 12:15am. Had some things to do this evening,so I just read all of your replys  and want to thank you all for your input. To answer Bobby, I didn't have Google installed in my shop  computer. It doesn't have the CPU qualifications to run Google. I was only running Firefox,and sometimes Konqueror. I didn't have any other OS on this computer. I didn't bother with Scorpion 2.0.2. I was running Orion 1.4.6
I ran the usual update everyday, when I first start my machine. I then ran $sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. It said it would need 480 KB? Of space for the upgrade. Said it was going to update libcom? And other files, I don't remember. It downloaded/updated for at least a half hour. I thought that was unusual, since it never did that,only from the time I install Q4OS. after it finished, I ran sudo apt-get autoclean. Then I ran sudo apt-get autoremove. It removed 390 KB? of old files. I then restarted. That's when the problem started. I simply wouldn't start up. Screen kept going black.Even after trying doing all the things Q4OS team and CC,suggested. I decided that CC's suggestion was the best way to go. I downloaded the newest version of Q4OS,and selected the Classic Install. It totally installed...without 1 cliché..! So,now I just got to re-install all my programs,and set up my emails,preferences and add my files.Why this crashed.???Your guess is as good as mine.I still say it was something that happened with the distro update. Sorry I couldn't get any line codes...it just kept going black,after about 4-5 seconds.
I'll let all of you know when I finish getting my settings all set,and my files reloaded. Stay tuned. BTW....hardware is functioning fine.

#16 2016-02-03 07:04

bobby
Website

Glad to see hardware is okay.

If your system has a DVD burner in it, there is Systemback that will create a LiveDVD Installer of your whole Q4OS Installation after you rebuild it. I use it to make the MyLiveOS Cd's.   http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/

No Longer Using Q4OS

#17 2016-02-03 15:39

CaptNoize
Website

Bobby,
This one only has a CD burner. Perhaps I could use a flashdrive ..? It has extra 2.0 USB ports. I will again download Update Manager. I will probably use it instead of the command console,to update in the future. I don't know why this happened. Any advise is appreciated. I don't want to redo this again.

#18 2016-02-03 16:57

Rademes

I have read that apt-get autoclean sometimes removes wrong packages, even if they are critical for running system. So I think the problem was happened because of this command.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#19 2016-02-03 17:29

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Rademes wrote:

I have read that apt-get autoclean sometimes removes wrong packages, even if they are critical for running system.

Could you introduce a source please ? It may be related to testing version ? We have never noticed similar 'apt-get autoclean' fail. It only removes cached and unused .deb archives, see 'man apt-get'

#20 2016-02-03 18:03

MC

q4osteam wrote:
Rademes wrote:

I have read that apt-get autoclean sometimes removes wrong packages, even if they are critical for running system.

Could you introduce a source please ? It may be related to testing version ? We have never noticed similar 'apt-get autoclean' fail. It only removes cached and unused .deb archives, see 'man apt-get'

I've used autoremove, autoclean, and clean frequently on many different Linux distros over the past 10 years and have never experienced any problems or breakage. This includes Q4OS 1.4 AND 2.0.

I think CaptNoize has a hardware issue. I have two OLD desktop systems that will crash pretty much the same way as his. For example with my Q4OS system; If I install Iceweasel, the first lauch will hard crash the system. The screen will turn into a blizzard of colors in a high wind. The exact same thing will happen just INSTALLING other distros; Ubuntu based, Arch, and most of the pure Debian distros. Q4OS and Siduction are the only distros I've found that will run on these systems. So, to keep my system up and running, I don't use Iceweasel.

I haven't gone to any lengths to test my equipment because I believe it is just a poor quality onboard graphics chip, and I can't afford to upgrade my equipment at this time.

So, it's just a gut feeling, from my own experience, that CaptNoize is experiencing a hardware issue. Not to turn you away from Q4OS, I would advise you to try a few other distros to see if you get the same results as you are experiencing with Q4OS. If so, it's a hardware issue. If you find one that runs well in comparison, that's good! The objective it to find a Linux distro that works well and you are satisfied with its operation and function.

Nuff said.

Q4OS running Xfce

#21 2016-02-03 18:08

CaptNoize
Website

This is good to know...I will steer clear of this command...Thanks !

#22 2016-02-03 20:09

Rademes

q4osteam wrote:
Rademes wrote:

Sorry, I can`t. It was on Russian linux forum and I don`t remember it.

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#23 2016-02-04 01:54

CaptNoize
Website

I reloaded my computer today and got it all back up and running. Everything seems fine. I will keep watching the hardware side of it. I still think it was a glitch with the update. I'll let the forum know in the next few days......

#24 2016-02-04 03:37

CaptNoize
Website

Did you have to re install the distro...? And my FireFox is still running slow...it always has,on this computer. I tried to add on Font and Theme size changer,but it says it doesn't support my platform,yet  I was able to install it on my Thunderbird email...? Have you had this problem..?

#25 2016-02-04 13:11

Dai_trying

@CaptNoize
I have problems with firefox on lower spec pc's and tend to use iceweasel provided by debian and that seems to be quite a bit more responsive. It might help you too.

Dai

Board footer