You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-04 22:02

postquantum

14TB disk - Q4OS installation failed - WA?

Hello,
I crashed my disks and so I bought a new one with 14 TB.
The Q4OS Installation-Icon was not helpful and finished with an installation error.
Can I use also > 2 TB diskspaces with Q4OS?
My intension was to run Mathematica and use the RAM for calculation and not to "waste" it for a fancy Desktop-Rendering, which I don't need by myself.
It would be cool, if I can use Q4OS even if my disk is BIG, also if I would probably need some kind of workaround.
Kind Regards

#2 2020-06-05 05:48

bin

Re: 14TB disk - Q4OS installation failed - WA?

Your machine needs to be able to support installation in UEFI mode so you can use GPT for partitioning.

This should be possible but older hardware is still around that does not support UEFI - or the BIOS needs updating. BIOS updating is often done from within the OS (Windows) so you can find yourself down a rabbit hole if you have that combination.

It doesn't matter how big your hard drive is - if you are looking for processing resources then it's the amount of RAM that is important along with the speed of your CPU(s).

#3 2020-06-06 07:55

postquantum

Re: 14TB disk - Q4OS installation failed - WA?

Hi bin,
sure I have also RAM and CPU. But bigger disks have a better buffering and get higher read and writing rates, which I like because I also need often the swap to finish somehow the calculation (until I found a smarter algo).
My BIOS is ready to use > 2TB disks.
Kind Regards

Board footer